B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Noise while turning at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Noise while turning at low speed

So this is likely a common problem, and I'm lazy as s***... I could properly diagnose it myself, but lets check with the forum first.

When I am at a stop, and I crank the wheel in one direction or another significantly, like a 3/4 turn or so, begin accelerating at low speed, I can hear (and feel) a low frequency noise in the front suspension/drivetrain. It's kinda a grumble.

The car is a 1999.5 1.8TQ Tip. When I was a VW wrench at the dealership back in the day, the Tie Rods were recalled, so I had my suspicions there (but that's so unlikely), also thinking a drive shaft may be at fault, and lastly the dreaded wheel bearings (that I want to do the least). I might just consider a full front end rebuilding if it's gonna be like that.

How say you?

Old 09-26-2008, 07:33 PM
4th Gear

Power steering pump or rack.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 PM

def. not the wheel bearings, they will only sound when you are driving, and louder as you go faster. its something with the steering pump or rack like crazyhawk said.

you could also just be low on ps fluid.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM
4th Gear

If it does it in both directions, probably what crayhawk says. If only on one side, and when in one direction, then wheel bearing probably.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:55 AM
1st Gear

Good news to hear it's not characteristic of wheel bearings... that thought was haunting me.

Here's why I don't think it's in the rack/pump/rods. Even with the steering held constant, issue is continued, rack/pump/links are not under any additional stress.

Anyone ever experience this with a bad CV? Tranny or front diff?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 AM
4th Gear

Check the P/S fluid level. Only add 11S fluid if needed.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CRAZYHAWK
Check the P/S fluid level. Only add 11S fluid if needed.

that is the first place I would stop because it's a $20 fix and it's easy as pie if that is the problem. From what you said, I feel like this is it because when my rack was going bad I still had the PS ability but the front would whine whenever I turned the wheel due to lack of fluid, so it's a legit reason for it to happen.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

I wish it was as simple as a low PS fluid level. I went through her last night, had a wheel well lining to replace and some headlights to adjust and all fluid levels are fine and the car has been maintained exclusively at the dealers since new, so I have confidence that the PS is the correct Pentosin flavor.

Some other notes: This noise is only noticeable under acceleration. Only after the steering gets a significant input, like 3/4 turn or more. Checked the suspension with the front wheels off, seemed sound, all ball joints check out. The CVs are the originals, and I do know they develop wear patterns. Leaning with these as the culprit, but I think I'll wait until a boot fails before I take action. No click click to know for sure, but I got a hunch.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by EpicWin
So this is likely a common problem, and I'm lazy as s***... I could properly diagnose it myself, but lets check with the forum first.

When I am at a stop, and I crank the wheel in one direction or another significantly, like a 3/4 turn or so, begin accelerating at low speed, I can hear (and feel) a low frequency noise in the front suspension/drivetrain. It's kinda a grumble.
Since you say its a LOW frequency noise I doubt its a steering pump or anything like that.
And quit being a lazy *** and diagnose it then. Myself if its more of a shudder I would see if the noise is coming from the Torsen differentials. They say change the fluids and add a stabilizer and it will quit. Mine makes that noise too but from what I understand its normal
and just the nature of higher miles on these parts.

Good Luck...

Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

You have the same condition. So the idea is then, accept it... it's a non issue. My lazy **** is gonna do just that!

If there is one thing that turning a wrench has taught me, above all other lessons, is that sometimes things are not worth trying to fix if they work just fine.

Thanks, Red.