B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Odd noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Default Odd noise...

So I replaced my rear bearing/upright due to EXTREME grinding and now that the car is quiet, I hear a noise coming from the front. It sounds like a flat tire would, and is dependent on speed.

Heres what kills me, it goes away if I turn right, but it Sounds like its coming from the left.

All of the bushings are fine, the bearing is silent and has no play what so ever, the control arms are fine, everything seems fine.... The hell?

One thing to mention is I did sling that tire into a guard rail (drivers side) rather visciously, it doesnt seem deformed though.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Administrator

sounds like a two-piece bearing, I'll get you a useless DIY to change the one piece bearing from a totally different car, STAT

Old 03-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator

kidding aside, did you throw off your alignment when you whacked the guardrail? I drove for a while on a mis-aligned wheel and it made my tire wear funny, producing a sound similar to what you're describing

Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 PM

Yeah I did, but I had it aligned that same day and everything was fine.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 PM
2nd Gear

i have the same issue same and am in the same boat. some one else posted similar to this but no straight answers have come about this problem cause the car drives fine just the sound that is getting annoyying

Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Yeah, drives fine. Noise is killing me.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Any chance you broke a belt in the tire? That will make noise. Also how's the tread look? Is there any cupping or feathering at the edges? Did you try moving that tire on the car to see if the noise follows it or stays put?

Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM

I think you're right, I think when I hit the guardrail (tire fully turned, tire hit not the car, threw the alignment off wicked bad) that I may of killed a tire.

I didnt see if the noise followed the tire, because I didnt have a jack stand handy to keep one side up while i grabbed the other sides tire. I could of used the spare but I was lazy.

I don't ~See~ anything wrong with the tire, outside of some what seems to be dry-cracking right near the sidewall where it meets the thread.

Betting I killed a belt in the tire.... comforting, though - tires are cheaper than some other possible causes.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Heheh yeah it sucks messing with the spare. I'd get the car up and swap the suspect tire diagonally to change the side and which end it's on and bring a passenger if you have trouble isolating the sound. Have the person sit in each seat while you drive (or have them drive while you change seating position since you know what to listen for). That'll help you narrow it down too.

If you do determine that it's a tire and your tires aren't relatively new, change a pair rather than a single tire so the quattro system doesn't end up angry.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Good call, I'm used to simple cars like my Camaro and such, not special awd systems haha. I'd of totally just changed the single tire, not even realizing it.

Thanks man, you've been more than helpful.

Quick Reply: Odd noise...