B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

oil extractors - who uses one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default oil extractors - who uses one?

I ran into a dilemma and wire tied my panzer plate up on the sides when i had my bumper off to put my new s4 bumper on (because it got in the way of the bumper install for some reason...) and dont want to take it off every time i do an oil change.

long story short i want to buy an oil extractor.

Anyone have one they can recommend? anything i should look for? I have never, ever looked into one of these before, so im clueless.

Thanks guys

Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

i know a few people who have oil extractors and use them with pride and joy because they dont have to remove the PITA belly pan. but i think an important part of the oil change is to inspect/ replace the drain plug, drain washer, and for those with the magnetic drain plug to clean off the attracted contaminant metal. just my opinion.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rawdney88
i know a few people who have oil extractors and use them with pride and joy because they dont have to remove the PITA belly pan. but i think an important part of the oil change is to inspect/ replace the drain plug, drain washer, and for those with the magnetic drain plug to clean off the attracted contaminant metal. just my opinion.
I agree - theres just a sense of peace of mind seeing all the old oil and contaminants coming out... so i would do this about every 3rd time, but its just a pain since i wire tied it up... idk.

that aside, has anyone used one?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Site Moderator

Yep, we use them at the dealership on occasion. On 2.0T motors its actually the preferred method because you can actually extract more oil than draining it from the plug. I would use the extractor a few times, then cycle in the drain plug method to get rid of some of the contaminants on the drain plug magnet.
I have one i got from MAC tools for $80, but harbor freight sells the same model for around $50.