B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

oil in gas tank.. lack of power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Default oil in gas tank.. lack of power?

Really stupid boo boo but the other day I took the wrong canister and poured very little oil (much less than a quart) in the gas tank. My car has decreased in power slightly ever since. What should I do? I was told just fuel injector cleaner would work.. true?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
3rd Gear

oil+gas=no good in these engines. depending on what exactly you put in it, if its heavier then the gasoline and isnt miscible in gasoline, then it will sink directly to the fuel pickup and get pushed to the engine before the gas will. this could be harmful to your o2 sensors and cat. i would change your spark plugs after you get it all out of there.

you have pretty much 2 options, drop the fuel tank and clean it all out, or wait till it gets burned off. what exactly did you put in the tank? if it was like heavy weight 'stop-leak' oil that would be alot worse then a lighter weight additive, like seafoam (seafoam is actualy good to add to the gas as well as engine oil).

if you want to burn it off, as it sounds like you have been driving with it like this, i suggest changing your fuel filter after a few tanks of gas. let the tank you have get down untill your running on fumes, dump a full can of seafoam in the tank and fill it all the way up. the seafoam will act to help the gas and oil mix if it isnt already. again- depending on what exactly you dumped in there. then run it down untill your on fumes again and refill. just about all the oil should be out by this time. then just clean out whatever goo has been left in the engine.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

All I know is the oil was meant for weed whackers and other lawn equipment. I haven't tried these options yet but I actually have seen an increase in power just by letting it go through the system. I was probably going to just let the tank get low add some seafoam and then fill up. If anything the amount of oil that I put in was no more than the amount that can fit in a paper cup.