B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Opinions on Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Opinions on Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Tires?

I need to get a new set of tires ASAP. Currently have Pirelli P6 Four Seasons and they have been only "meh" in longevity, traction and ride. They're getting pretty noisy too now that the front ones are just about down to the treadwear bands, but have been wearing pretty evenly despite the fact that I know I need to replace my control arms soon as well. I don't have a lot of money to spend and would like something reasonably economical to buy, and that would have good handling traction on hot Texas summertime roads, and ride perhaps a bit less harsh than the P6's, and be quiet on the highway too. My car has original stock suspension and factory 16" alloy wheels. Anybody try the Potenza RE760 Sport tires (size 205/55R16) on such a B5 A4 Quattro? Most reviews around the web for this particular tire/size seem to be pretty good, but they all seem to be for much lighter weight cars too and I'm sure the heavier weight of a Quattro would definitely have an effect of tire performance.

I can get a set of these locally for about $112 each. I need to stay under about $120 per tire.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

I have sold a few of these tires through the dealership that I work at and have never had a customer come back with any complaints about them. Most really do like them and they are a popular tire for customers with the new ford fusion which is about the same size as our cars so i would assume they would perform fairly well. Personally I would not have a review on these tires never having a set of my own but I put a set of goodyear eagle gt's on my girlfriends subaru wrx and was very impressed with them! With my dealer discount through our tire supplier I got them for 96 a tire. After how well they preformed and looked on her wrx I am planning on putting them on my quattro as well.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

The Ford Fusion (and the Mustang, for which these tires seem especially popular) are a fair amount lighter weight than a B5 Quattro. That's my biggest concern about buying these tires.... how well will they do with ~ 500 lbs more total vehicle weight on them.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a set anyway. I'm fairly mild in my driving habits, so I hope they'll do me well.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 AM
Legal Moderator

for 112 a tire i say go for it. potenzas are good ****. i wouldnt be worried about the extra weight. 500 pounds dived by 4 is nly an extra 125 per tire. however, running potenxas, like any other higherish performance tire means running something softer than say an all season. they will run out faster, especially if corened hard and ran low on pressure. if you didnt live in texas, id say pick up a set of winter wheels too.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Never run Potenza's, but I did run a set of Bridgestone HP550's on my old A4 and didn't like them very much. They didn't wear evenly and were quite noisy. Running Goodyear Eagle GT's now and they're much nicer.

Be sure to post back after you put a few thousand miles on them at let us know how they are.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

go to tire rack and review the number values for longevity, etc, and feel free to buy a name you are not familiar with. you can save money and you need a hard compound to get through those 105 degree summers, in my opinion.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Didn't get the Potenzas... I wussed out and just got a new set of Pirelli P6's for the same price ($112 each). My tire guy said I'd be lucky to get 15K miles out of the RE760s on the Quattro due to the much softer rubber compound, and the set of P6's that came with the car were good for over 20K. The P6s weigh about 2 lbs less per tire, and have less rolling resistance than the RE760 and since this car is my daily driver the slight edge on fuel economy is important. I already know how the P6's handle on this car and I guess I'm satisfied enough with keeping the status quo... besides the new P6's sure do ride and handle a *lot* better than old worn ones did, and they're much quieter too