B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

P0411 - Sec.Air Inj.Sys. Incorrect Flow Detected

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear
Default P0411 - Sec.Air Inj.Sys. Incorrect Flow Detected

1999 2.8L 30V
P0411-Sec.Air Inj.Sys. Incorrect Flow Detected

Car is throwing this code after I disconnected the battery and didn't let the TPS adapt after reconnect Turned into a bigger problem and needed to have the ECM reprogrammed by a local shop. It wasn't a total loss because I had my exhaust leak fixed, and for a couple miles didn't see a CEL or any other idiot lights.

The CEL came back on of course. The car wouldn't start every time. It would crank/turn over but wouldn't fire. I could try again immediately afterward and it would fire right up. The shop said it could do that and to let it work itself out, which it has.

When it did start during that tme, it would misfire every now and then. One misfire was accompanied by a flashing CEL which lasted about a minute as I let it run. The misfire stopped and the CEL remained solid.

The car is running fine now, but I need to pass inspection.

I do not have a tool to clear the codes and have been unsuccessful at persuading the guys at the autostore to do so. Do you think this P0411 was stored during the misfire and simply needs to be cleared, or would it be more likely to mean I need to replace the SAI pump? I'm guessing the former. I know...clear codes and come back later... I don't have an OBD code clearer

An O2 sensor code P0160 is also showing for Bank 2 Sensor 2 (sensor circuit no activity detected), but I expected to see that because it's been there since before this misfire issue. Not sure if they're related in anyway

Thanks guys

Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Administrator

It's not necessarily the SAP - the airflow for the secondary injection system is monitored by the secondary O2 sensors. If one or both of yours are getting toward the end of their life, they could be falsely reporting bad SAP flow.

If you're getting an ECU flash, the dealer can add in an update to the secondary O2s that widens their tolerance for cat monitoring. Audi admitted that the threshold for showing inefficient catalyst operation was ridiculous and unnecessarily tight and for $100 they'll widen that tolerance. Maybe you can get the reflash taken care of, the update done, and solve your SAP issue in one shot?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Administrator

It's not necessarily the SAP - the airflow for the secondary injection system is monitored by the secondary O2 sensors. If one or both of yours are getting toward the end of their life, they could be falsely reporting bad SAP flow.

If you're getting an ECU flash, the dealer can add in an update to the secondary O2s that widens their tolerance for cat monitoring. Audi admitted that the threshold for showing inefficient catalyst operation was ridiculous and unnecessarily tight and for $100 they'll widen that tolerance. Maybe you can get the reflash taken care of, the update done, and solve your SAP issue in one shot?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil

Can a generic OBD reader from ECS update that as well? There's a shop near campus that charges pretty low prices on top of a student discount. I'd have them replace the O2 sensor/reflash with update/inspection. They already flashed it a little while ago, but I'll definitely mention it to them.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Administrator

No, I don't even have the ability with my full Vagcom. From all I've heard, it's strictly dealer-access.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

I had code p0411. It went away after I replaced the vacuum lines. I'd suggest starting with that first. It cost me about 6 dollars of vacuum line and about an hour worth of time. There's a DIY somewhere around AF/AZ.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear

I'll definitely take a look at the vacuum hoses. If I remember correctly, most within eye view with the beauty covers off, but there are a few that wrap around the back of the motor? Got a diagram, lol? (Is there one in particular that's easy to skip over?)

I'm also planning on attempting to remove B2S2 Oxygen Sensor soon. I've searched online and found this to hopefully be the closest DIY for the job: VWVortex.com - DIY - Replacing oxygen sensors

Is there something better than PB Blaster? I'm not really looking to go the butane torch route just yet.

I'm also looking into scanners. While a genuine VAGCOM from RossTech for $400 looks awesome, I was thinking a code clearer would suit me just fine.

BASIC: Home Page > Search > Scanner > ES#9951 V-Checker Scanner - Basic - VAGCHECKERBASIC
PRO: Home Page > Search > Scanner > ES#9950 V-Checker Scanner - Pro - VAGCHECKERPRO
OR: Ebay version WITH CANBUS

Anyone have experience with either of these? Obviously the Pro version is better, but I don't think I need all the extra bits unless I can find it cheaper in the US so I won't have to wait a month for it to get here from China

Thoughts?

Last edited by Skythe; 03-25-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Legal Moderator

if all you need to do is pass inspecion i would delete the cel (if you don have a scanner just disconnect battery for a few mins) and go to the inspection. if it will come on earlier than that id look into the lines as well. most likely a vacuum leak.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
if all you need to do is pass inspecion i would delete the cel (if you don have a scanner just disconnect battery for a few mins) and go to the inspection. if it will come on earlier than that id look into the lines as well. most likely a vacuum leak.
I would, but disconnecting the battery has never cleared a CEL for me in the past. The last time my DTCs were cleared, they came back 13 miles later which I'm sure is before readiness set in--wouldn't be able to pass inspection. I'm pretty sure it came on for the O2 sensor because...it's always the O2 sensor. I'm not worried about the vacuum leaks so much. I was thinking the code for the SAIP could have occurred during the misfire session which happened after the CEL was already on. Plus they should be relatively easy to replace. I don't know when each code was thrown to know if the SAIP code is going to come back for vac lines, the O2 sensor, or was a one time fluke

Last edited by Skythe; 03-25-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

The vacuum lines are really easy to do.. Just have an exactoknife and about 6ft of 3.5mm vacuum line.

Be sure to replace the one coming from the blue Michelin man looking thing on the driver side under the headlight. There's also a line that runs from the intake manifold change-over valve (front of the intake manifold under the coilpack), under the fuel rail, and to the web of vacuum lines. There's a DIY somewhere around here.

Quick Reply: P0411 - Sec.Air Inj.Sys. Incorrect Flow Detected