B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Parking Light Delete/Turns Only DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 PM
3rd Gear

All that's necessary to eliminate the parking brake light is find the wires going to the turn signals (without taking the headlights out), cut a hole in the rubber to reveal them and cut the smallest wire..

EDIT : facelift headlights have four wires coming from the turn signals?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

im talking about the wires on the bulb itself. cutting the wires from the light housing works but the point of this mod is to not do any damage to the car itself that would require. this way you can just put a new bulb in if you want to go back to parking lights in the front. i also think cutting the wire might make it go into "burned out bulb" mode... not sure though.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:55 PM
3rd Gear

how is cutting the parking brake wire coming from the bulb a foot away from it different than 2mm away from it beside that you'd be able to reuse the bulb again if you would keep enough wire attached?

EDIT : are you talking about facelift headlights? because the turn signals are different on facelift and prefacelift. either way I think the easiest way would just be to keep the bulb in and cut the wire for the parking light (which is the clearly skinniest wire of the three). if you'd ever want to put it back to normal you could just solder the wire back together and it would work perfectly again and wouldn't cost another bulb or much time. I recently cut my parking light wire and attached it to city lights on upgraded headlights and it works fine, no "burned out bulb" mode (does that even exist?)

Last edited by aledelic42; 05-22-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:23 AM
1st Gear

one of the first things you learn in electrical engineering is that you want to have as few joints as possible to prevent excessive resistance in the system, not to mention how ugly things can get when you have a clusterf#$^ of wires and joints. since it appears that you have already changed your headlights out you are in an entirely different boat. this is for people who have stock harnesses and want to keep things looking as clean as possible. being able to just alter the bulb (which i feel is an entirely disposable part as opposed to the factory harness) is a benefit. sure you could modify the wires and heatshrink them to look nice but isnt it easier and cleaner to avoid that all together and to just mod the bulbs? its all about opportunity cost. most of us have the ability to toy with soldering the wires but i feel that my time is better spent on more effective projects like finishing the swap on my mr2 or a handful of other more important mods on both cars. spending 2 dollars to change a bulb back to entirely stock with no cutting of wires is optimal. besides this is just for fun and information's sake as i know lots of people have asked and gone unanswered.

and yes the burned out bulb warning is a real thing...

Last edited by TheProfessor; 05-23-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:27 PM
4th Gear

^^ Agreed... I would rather mod the bulb than have a soldered joint corrode later.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:53 PM

yup! same here!! i think im gonna try it!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 AM
3rd Gear

That's a good point and I would agree completely if I had a new(er) car but I guess I just don't care enough to have my wiring harnesses in original condition with my 97 so I did it the easy way. I was not aware our cars have burnt bulb warnings.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:51 AM
5th Gear

that's not something you can do with vag com on a b5. very cool mod, idk how the cops in my area would like that though haha. now go get them damn pix

Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

truth. i just looked into it more and youre right b5s cant be programmed that way it looks like... makes me actually feel better about the mod and my vag cable being broken haha.

i PROMISE ill get pictures tomorrow once night hits the east coast, i would go now but i took a cab home tonight. i'll do one with and one without fogs since i only have one fog at the moment until new bulbs show up.

ETA: yayyaah southern tier (i'm from corning originally) haha

Last edited by TheProfessor; 05-24-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:55 AM
5th Gear

what fogs do you have. if they're H7 i can give send you a bulb, i have a few sitting around doing nothing.

Quick Reply: Parking Light Delete/Turns Only DIY