B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Pioneer Avic D3 Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
4th Gear
Default Pioneer Avic D3 Install

First, yes I did install this in my S4 BUT it has the same Double Din as many of the later series A4's so I thought some of you might want to see.

I just got my bonus from work so now I have money ;D I decided to get a Pioneer Avic D3 Nav unit for my S4. I will update this thread with pictures of the install once I get all the parts I need. I called every car audio place here in Spokane, Valley, and CDA and NO ONE has all the parts I need. So I had to order the dashkit and a special wiring harness since I have the BOSE system in my car. I really don't want to re-run all the wires for all the speakers PLUS I can now have 5.1 Surround sound in my car to watch movies with! Here are some pictures of everything thats going into the car. I got a sweet package deal that came with the HU, Bluetooth system for my cell phone, I-Pod adaptor cable, and a remote for $800!

Ok well it's all in now!!!! Took me about 8 hours to do the total install from start to finish. I did run into a few problems but those were sort of my fault. One of them was that I was trying to run power to the bluetooh and XM receivers but I cut the wrong wires and ended up killing my ABS and Traction Control systems. LOL SO I had to go back and fix that and then just decided to run the wires all the way back to the front for power.

Needless to say it was all WAY worth it! This thing is SWEET! The navigation is cool and works well, sound it has is great! My Subwoofer is MUCH MUCH louder now compared to when it was in the car with the stock HU and I now have XM, IPOD, and Bluetooth in my car now! So now onto the pictures!

All the boxes of stuff.

Thats EVERYTHING that is going into the car! Yeah It's a lot!

Main wiring harness.

One of the cats (MAX) watching me work.

The bluetooth microphone. I installed it in the factory location by the sun-roof controls.

My counsel all torn apart.

All the wires STILL waiting to be put in the car.

I ran the bluetooth wire through the headliner across the passenger side of the car.

I ran the wire down the back and then down the side of the rear seat. You can barely see the wire.

You can see the XM (grey box closest to you) and the bluetooth (black box farthest from you) boxes. I mounted them there and then ran all the wires to the front.

The XM radio antenna mounted on the back deck of the car. I also mounted the NAV GPS antenna back there to on the other side of the brake light.

The wires going from the back seat to the front.

I ran the wires under the panel on the side by the floor.

Then I ran the wires up under the glovebox to the back of the radio.

The finished install!

The finished install with the radio turned on.

Playing a movie on the screen! This picture looks bad but in person it looks REALLY good!

You can see that the red in the screen matches really well with the rest of the car.

Another night picture.

Hope you all enjoy it! If you guys are looking for any type of in-dash DVD/Navigation systems you should consider this one. It's amazing!

Josh

Old 04-03-2008, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Pioneer Avic D3 Install

Wow, intimidating install. Impressive!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

sweet, nice install with everything as well!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 PM
4th Gear

Thanks!

I am very happy with the system.

Josh

Old 04-04-2008, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

$800 is a killer deal cheapest i saw an d3 for by me is $1400

Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 PM
4th Gear

WOW thats expensive!!!!

Josh

Old 04-05-2008, 05:41 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

great set-up.... any possibility of having the DIS display read out info of radio stations?
any advice for any of us to look out for when installing this?

im planning to do this setup up this summer and hopefully put up a DIY for converting single-double din. just gotta gather more info.
for anyone who wants to go ahead before I, feel free to do so and read the following sites.
http://www.navplus.us/forums/showthread.php?t=4685

http://www.harddrive.plus.com/Docume...%20in%20A4.pdf

dont forget to post a detailed DIY[8D]

Old 04-05-2008, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Finally someone backs it up with full install pictures!

I do have a question is that the metra double DIN kit? do you have to break the plastic bar part or does that stay?

Edit also can you tell me this since you need to keep the DVD in to Nav if you driving across states can you still play your ipod with no issues? That was the only downfall I found of this unit was that I needed to keep the DVD in for navagating.

But if I can play the ipod while the nav is running then I will switch back to this unit instead of getting the Kenwood DNX5120

Old 04-05-2008, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

WOW thats expensive!!!!

Josh
damn.. sure is.. heck crutchfield has it less then that price as well.. same as ebay.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

thats the same HU i was looking at... but it was over a grand...good install looks like it rolled out of the factory like that.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic D3 Install