B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Post your favorite cheap/free mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Yeah trim painting or wrapping is cheap and easy (like Justin said, it takes time). I have probably $150 invested in dye, suede, and adhesive, and have wrapped my beltline trim, A-pillars, rear decklid, rear ashtray cover, and ebrake sleeve (which is now replaced with a facelift leather ebrake sleeve and handle), and have black-dyed my B/C pillars, oh-sh*t handles, and sunvisors, and two-tone dyed my seats and the bottom arch insert on my steering wheel. I still have suede in the garage for my headliner and dye waiting for my door inserts. All in all, it's like a $2000 interior makeover at less than 8% of the cost.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Slayer, by recoding I mean setting up the car for auto locking/unlocking, one-touch unlocking, remote window control, etc.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

Air box mod

Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM
5th Gear

recoding is literally going into vag com, changing the actually values for the software which changes the some of the convenience features of the car. other popular ones are seatbelt chime delete, and honk delete when locking the car. vag com is perhaps the cheapest investment you can make that will always makes you smile because it can also scan codes, delete codes, and log limited amounts of data with the free software. it's a must for every VAG car owner IMO

Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator

So the fish tank air line makes the weather seals thicker, is that what i gather? Anyone have pics? Intrigued by this, I am.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 AM
4th Gear

to an extent, yes. It makes the weather strip seat tighter to the door frame... There is another similar mod I've read about which is the same thing around where the mirrors seat, which is supposed to reduce wind noise even more...

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out the "remove a flush snapped bolt from the back of the head without pulling the head" mod... I miss driving my car

Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

i get a lot of air/road noise that comes threw the front windshield at the bottem threw the plenum.... i want to be the master mind who figures out how to fix that. its freaking annoying specially at high speeds it gets really loud.

but i think im going to try that fish tank thing cause my car has terrible road noise but it also might be the cheap *** tires the previous owners put on the car.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
to an extent, yes. It makes the weather strip seat tighter to the door frame... There is another similar mod I've read about which is the same thing around where the mirrors seat, which is supposed to reduce wind noise even more...

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out the "remove a flush snapped bolt from the back of the head without pulling the head" mod... I miss driving my car
the side view mirrors? i believe this was an issue with the B6 only.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

My car was silent until I put the roof racks on, now it sounds like a wind tunnel! I'm going to have to try this hose thing!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

whistle exhaust tips. LOL

Quick Reply: Post your favorite cheap/free mod