B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Potential Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM

If I had the option, start clean. You don't want to take on someone else's project, because you don't know then. They could have done some shady stuff and hid it then gave up on the project. I don't like fixing other people's **** ups

Also, why Audi? Plenty of other (better) auto-x cars... And no I'm not telling you to go buy a miata.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
i'm telling you to go buy a miata.
ftfy

Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=jonbonesjones;1424207]If I had the option, start clean. You don't want to take on someone else's project, because you don't know then. They could have done some shady stuff and hid it then gave up on the project. I don't like fixing other people's **** ups [\QUOTE]

True, you need to know what you're buying. I've just seen a couple of sales in my area, it's the car, a mod or two and boxes of shiny new parts. Some great deals out there if you come across one.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by CCA4
ftfy
ahhh gotcha! thats obviously what i meant, its one of the best auto cross cars for obvious reasons, but everyone has done evrything ever to them. its no more fun beating a dead horse

Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM
1st Gear

I want to go Audi for a few reasons. One, my step dad has owned nothing but VW and Audi for pretty much all his life(except a couple subies that he didn't like) so he wants to stay German. Two, I really love my current B5 and feel like it's a great platform to build off of because of the community around it and how it isn't the first thing that comes to mind when you think of building a car up. Three, I really want AWD. I just love it, plain and simple.

I really just figure that because there are very few cars out there I like more than Audi I should stick with my manufacturer of choice, and in the process I will potentially be creating something that isn't the typical idea of an auto-x car.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I figured I'd explain myself fully.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

So I contacted Integrated Engineering and they only said I will have to replace my exhaust valves and connecting rods. Now I need to ask you about connections for the turbo. I'm thinking of going Comp Turbo because they seem to be pretty cheap for performance(this one CT2-4856). Please tell me if that's a bad idea. Now, they give the option for the housing and that is where I am lost. Is there a way for me to go so I don't have to replace the intake manifold?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

Find Mikeptzero or something like that. He has two tone blue A4 and sells Comp turbos and more importantly uses Comp turbos. He would be able to give you some excellent insight. I am working on something similiar to what you have in mind. 400AWHP is what I have plans on as well and I want to be able to drive it on the street with minimal sacrifice to drivability. I chose a TD05H with a billet compressor for price and spool but it may not hit the 400awhp I have set. The 400awhp is really just a safety number so I am not too concerned about breaking ****.

Another thing I have suggested to others in different forums is try and locate someone close by that has a comparable setup to what you have in mind. See if they will let you drive it and then compare the performance aspect of it to what you are trying to accomplish. I was going to suggest maybe trying to locate used kit and try it out first and then replace pieces as you see fit.

There are rods in the classifieds right now for a damn good deal.

My suggestion for a price conscious individual would be a billet T3T4 50 trim using a stage 2 turbine. However this would push your usable rpm range up into the 3500-8000. It would be your cheapest option but not offer the response you are looking for. However everyone is different.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

Which forum is he most active on?

Sadly there aren't that many people from Maine on the forums so that isn't too useful for me.

The rods in the Audizine Classifieds are bigger than the stock ones I think.

I want to keep the lag as close to stock as possible. And I'm not very fluent in turbo talk so that's why I need a lot of help explaining what exactly you mean by T3T4 50 Trim and Stage 2 turbine.

Sorry I'm so ignorant, this is my only source of Audi related stuff and googling these specifics doesn't work terribly well.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Legal Moderator

If you want a b5 racecar, buy an s4. The power and with upgraded turbos would be better for auto cross imo.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

Yeah but much more money. I'm not looking to put down serious power. Plus two turbos= more problems.

Quick Reply: Potential Build