B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

question on rear shock mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 AM
1st Gear
Default question on rear shock mount

I installed lowering springs this past weekend. when I was putting it all back together in the back the upper most bolt, top left mounting bolt when you are looking at it came loose. What i mean is I tightened the bolt and the nut on the other side must have came loose. I can't pull it out since the nut is attached to the back of it.

Question is, are the other 3 support enouph that hold the assembly to the body? The bolt is in there so there shouldn't be any up/down movement.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Is there a way to reach the back part? I tried looking through the trunk but no luck.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

loosen your lugs, jack up the car, remove the wheel. Loosen the lower bolt and then the four holding the mounting bracket on. Pull it off - tighten it up. Reinstall in reverse order (don't tighten the lower bolt yet) put the wheel on get the car on the ground then tighten the lower bolt. Don't rely on just 3 you're bound to break

Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

I dont think you understand what I was trying to say.

the bracket has 4 bolts....those bolts tread into the frame. I'm gueesing in the back of the frame there is a nut spot welded onto the frame where the bolt goes into.

That part came loose when I started to tighten the bolt down. You can feel the nut on the bolt becaue I'm unable to remove the bolt now.

Somehow there has to be a way to get to it from the backside?

since the bolt is in there, I would think there is enouph support. The shock bracket has up/down movement if any right? since the bolt is in there it's not going to move.

Any others?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

i might be completely wrong here have you tried looking under the carpet in the trunk?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DRWonoski
i might be completely wrong here have you tried looking under the carpet in the trunk?
As I stated above, I looked in the trunk. That's what I was thinkinkg too, in most cars you can see the nut or the bolt go through the metal when you remove the fender. You dont on this. It's almost like the is a second vender wall. Really weird.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

i think when i lowered my car i had some of the same troubles...if you actually broke the threads off then there is probably nothing you can do, but i would try to get it in there 100 times before anything. but i think it should have enough support.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

Fold down the rear seats and remove the carpet that is behind them. There is probably a piece of foam you will have to take out as well. This should give you access to the rear shock mount nuts.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audacity
i think when i lowered my car i had some of the same troubles...if you actually broke the threads off then there is probably nothing you can do, but i would try to get it in there 100 times before anything. but i think it should have enough support.
the actual nut is welded to the frame on the back side...I have threads in ther nut....so I cant pull the bolt our or tighten it down. I have to be able to get access to the insde frame part to weld the nut back on.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shortyxc
Fold down the rear seats and remove the carpet that is behind them. There is probably a piece of foam you will have to take out as well. This should give you access to the rear shock mount nuts.
I'll try that tonight. I think I'll still end up in the same boat though.

I moved the carpenting in the trunk and I noticed a black foam like thing, but that didn't reveal anything.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

Dude it will be fine with three bolts i ran mine for about 4 months with only three on each side untill i remembered them and tap and die'd(?) it out to fit a larger bolt in...its not going to be as strong but it will be better then nothing. when i took the whole thing apart and inspected it, it showed no signs of wear that would indicate any kind of strain with only three bolts. I personally think its fine, if you just put a bigger bolt in...unless you want to pay$$$ for a body shop to fix it...