B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

questions on master clutch installation...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
1st Gear
Default questions on master clutch installation...

Hi guys,
Well I crawled under the dash to get familiar with where the clutch master is and had some questions based on what I found. I found the two bolts holding the master to the firewall loose so that lends some credence to the prior owner telling me he'd changed the master/slave. Where the master cylinder shaft mounts to the pedal there seems to be a good 1/2" to 3/4" threaded end exposed behind the lock nut. Should that be threadedd out that far? Can the locknut be loosened and the rod threaded further into the fitting? Can the rod be rotated? If the present location of the lock nut is limiting the travel of the master rod, wouldn't retracting it increase the volume of fluid pushed down to the slave? Just trying to make sense of this whole hydraulic clutch thing. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

Ok, scratch the questions on the return travel of the master rod. After disconnecting the rod I found master rod has a fixed travel. However, the reason I was seeing so much thread is the electrical switch located on the clutch pedal assy had been hammered back through its wire nut! Does anyone know what that switch is for? It has a two wire connector and what appears to be a vacuum hose attached to it. Anyway, after rethreading the switch back through the wire nut, I adjusted the the pedal so it closes the switch at the master rods travel stop. What's the vacuum on the clutch switch for?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

clutch pedal stop electrical/vacuum switch? anyone know what it's for?