B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Radio Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:39 AM
1st Gear
Question Radio Disaster

A little background. My battery died a few months ago and I could not re-activate the radio because the previous owner did not give me the code. I couldn't track down the code so I did some reading. I found that if I get the serial off the top of the radio I could call a dealership and get the activation code. So I bought radio Keys on eBay and popped them in.

Now on to the problem. I am sure i used the keys correctly and have tried just about everything to get the radio out but it will not budge. So now the radio is stuck and 4 keys are stuck in the radio.

I have never had the console apart so I do not know if I even have a course of action to get this thing out. On top of that the write ups that I have read say to take the radio out as the first step. So you see my dilemma. I am in need of some expert assistance.
Name:  jKuiWl.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  73.9 KB
Name:  indz2l.jpg
Size:  66.3 KB

Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM
5th Gear

you have to really push and pull a couple of times. did they click when you inserted them? i had the sam problem and i hired a mongrel who got the radio out for me. his name is ImTheDevil on here and all he did was jiggle the keys with his mongrel hands

Old 10-07-2009, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

They all clicked and I can't get them out. The right side feels like it might be free but the left won't budge at all. I have tried pulling them out to the point that I feel I'm going to break the key. I have a feeling the top left key is the problem as it feels different when i move it around like its not engaged properly but it still won't come out.

Update: I really yanked on the thing and the top right key ended up coming out. Before I get it stuck again I would like some advice. Do you think it wasn't working because it was inserted improperly? It has some major scratches on it now that seem strange.
Name:  vTugil.jpg
Size:  39.5 KB
Name:  j7n5fl.jpg
Size:  52.1 KB

Last edited by dtay2827; 10-07-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

wellll in that top picture you have it wrong... look at the top right one... all of the other flat spots are faced toward the outside of the car, while the top right one is faced in toward the radio...

that being said... i am stuck in the SAME position as you!!! lol i need my radio code pulled and CANT because i CANT get my fking radio pulled out!! i have the keys like you do and i really can not get mine to pull free either and i have had 4 people in my car trying... wtf is it really necessary to make it that hard to 1) get the damn radio out of safe mode and 2) get the damn radio out if you want to switch head units!

i dont want to bring it into the Audi dealor because its 45 mins away and they said they would charge me ATLEAST a half hour shop time to get the radio out (48$ or something they said )

anyone have any recommendations or anyone live in WI or MN i can meet up with who knows how to work this thing?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:08 PM
5th Gear

mine was really scratched when i took them out. i'd try to take the radio out and then worry about taking the keys out. once the radio is out, the keys can be removed easily. i bet you have deep grooves in your fingers after you pulled that thing out. also try inserting it more and then pulling a little bit. do you feel any of the corners starting to come out?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

At one point the right side of the radio seemed to be moving a little bit. Then I put this project off for a couple months and I can't seem to get back to that point.

That picture does show the top right key in backwards(oops) but I've put it in the correct way also and still couldn't get the radio out. For some reason that top right key seems to come out with a stiff pull even after it clicks in. None of the others will do that.

I really wish I could get the radio out I've been fiddling with it for a couple months off and on. I'll keep at it but I'm thinking I may have to go another route. I just don't know what that is. However I am still very open to any suggestions on how to get this thing out.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

when i replaced my stock radio, I remember having to push the keys pretty hard, then sliding the radio out was fairly easy. It was like pushing the keys in sorta popped the radio forward. I dunno I'd just yank on the **** and hope for the best lol

Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

Here's a link on how to remove the radio, and what the mechanism looks like inside.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/instal...ech/ddkeys.htm

I don't have keys, and I dread the thought of removing the radio. What I don't like about these keys is the notch. Once the tab snaps into that notch, it probably won't come out easily. This is OK if the radio comes out, but if it doesn't for some reason, then everything probably gets stuck.

I was thinking of making my own keys but without the notch. Maybe with a hard thin plastic material, like and old credit card?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

IK exactly what you are saying I lived with those keys stuck in my radio for a long time. Sorry for digging up the thread but I just got the radio out today. I got more and more frustrated and eventually just ripped it out. One of the keys didn't engage the tab properly but it came out with a lot of force.

Now I'm still stuck though. I have called 10 dealerships and none of them will give me the code over the phone. I offered the serial number and vin. I heard this would work and that is the whole reason I decided to pull the radio out myself. so needless to say I am even more frustrated as I've been without music for weeks. This really sucks any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Administrator

They won't do it on the phone - their thought is that you could've stolen the radio, written down the VIN and are trying a scam. You'll have to go in person and show them the title to prove it's your radio and car. Only then will they bend you over and apply "customer service" to supply the code.

Quick Reply: Radio Disaster