B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Rattling noise in front left...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 PM

Ok guys here it is! the thumping clunking noise in my front drivers side was a bad strut mount!

So if you checked all your control arms, link bushings, calipers and breaks and you are still getting the clunking noise from the suspension area, then check your strut mounts!! This is the proof that it can go bad!!!! look it is this bad!!! The nut from the top housing of the strut/coil over was banging on the car body every time I hit a bump...

On the left is the bad strut mount (drivers side where the clunking noise was) and on the right is the strut mount from the front passenger side, as you see it still looks good but you know the rule with pairs, you replace them both. I had the dealer install them for $362.00

Attached Thumbnails Rattling noise in front left...-snc12379.jpg   Rattling noise in front left...-snc12380.jpg   Rattling noise in front left...-snc12381.jpg   Rattling noise in front left...-snc12382.jpg  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 PM

also as a note: I have a 2001.5 1.8T QMT @ 140K miles, I have votgland coilover set up and the car ride feels brand new!!!! no more clunking!!! I am freeeeeee!!! no ka clunk ca clunk thump thump, take that clunking noise!!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:25 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by josb12
Ok guys here it is! the thumping clunking noise in my front drivers side was a bad strut mount!
Oh s*** I was right! You're welcome ha, ha. This has to be what's wrong with my car then. Thanks for posting up those pics. It makes sense now that the nut was hitting the top of the frame.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

Just replaced my upper strut mount bushings, too, and they were shot. The annoying rattle/clunk is mostly gone on my front end, it seems. I think I'm still getting a little rattle from the upper CA BJ's.

You can see how hogged out the holes are:

Attached Thumbnails Rattling noise in front left...-cimg0336-2-.jpg   Rattling noise in front left...-cimg0337-2-.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear

I had Les Schwab fix my tire. There was a nail! The thunking is gone!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

So, I definitely still have some rattling coming from the upper CA BJ's............. sweet

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 PM
2nd Gear

Did the rattle sound like it was under tension, or was it a really loose rattle.. if that makes any sense. I have a noise that sounds like a rattle under tension and when I did my struts, the upper mounts looked fine and Ive done all my CAs and stuff...

Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator

this is good info, I have a clunking coming from my passenger's side front and i assumed it was control arms, but i've inspected them a coupla times and they all look fine. I'll take another look and see if its the upper strut mount instead. thanks guys!

EDIT: Something else i meant to ask but forgot: Is it possible to diagnose a trashed upper strut mount without tearing the whole suspension apart on that side? I've made the mistake of buying parts on impulse before and would like to avoid doing that this time.

Last edited by CCA4; 06-24-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

The rattle sounds kinda loose, but not totally loose. It really sounds like more of a knocking. My upper CA's look good, too. I may not have noticed the BJ's, 'cause they LOOK good, but my right front wheel's lug bolts were on real tight, so I had to kick the lug wrench. During a couple of kicks, the top of the steering knuckle wobbled forward and back a little and the exact rattle/knocking I've been chasing all this time sounded off right with it.

The bushings are good, but I can get just a little play and noise with my hands on the BJ's.

Sorry, I don't think you can inspect the upper stut mounts without removing the struts AND disassembling them. But, hey.... they're cheap.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

i bet that is exactly whats wrong with my car. i just broke the 140k mark with a brand new set of ca's and new struts and springs. and i know everything is tied down the way its supposed to be. im going to have to look into this tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise in front left...