B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Relay Clicking Issue (Audi A4 B5 - 98.5)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Relay Clicking Issue (Audi A4 B5 - 98.5)

I have read through 3 pages of Search results for clicking, but non seem to be the same as mine.....

Here's the problem. Turn Ignition on (NOT turn the engine over, but so Radio, Lights, windows etc work) and I'll get a relay / electrical sounding, ticketty click click noise which is Very random, but will continue for as long as the Ignition is on..... When inside the car it sounds like its coming from inside the dash. When listening to the Engine bay is sounds like its around the Airbox (ish) and also quite prominant from under the car too......

Try and start the car, and the Starter motor and battery are as strong as an ox, but it wont fire first time like it has since I've owned it. After 10 seconds of starter motor, it slowly starts coming into life, and then with a kick of throttle it starts, and then runs absolutely fine with out issue.... No more clicking once the engine has started....

The car has not been on the road for 2 weeks (replacing fender and headlights), but has been starting 1st time every time without problems until tonight. All we have been doing this evening is putting in Front Projectors with Halo's.. At first we thought we might have shorted something with the wiring, but all the lights we're working as they should. Turn signals also.... We dis-connected all front lights just in case but the clicking, ticking remained.....

We believe that we may have set something off whilst doing the lights, but er didn't have clickingh / ticking when we we're in the testing phase....

So now I have an A4, which is a bitch to start, when yesterday it was a 1st time starter. I have a horrible random relay, clicking noise whilst the Ignition is on (but not turning engine over).......

I'll go to Autozone once I get my new tags and see what CEL codes I get but in the mean time any idea's?

Thanks in Advance. Mark.....

Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Update

Well after last nights pain and worry, I woke up this morning to drive the car to work, and started 1st time. (It was 24 Degs F too) Couldn't have asked for a quicker more perfect start....

No clicking / relay noise, just perfectly normal.

Very strange...... Turned car off and on again, and it was perfect.....

Its currently 25 Degs F and snowing like crazy.... We'll see what happens, when i go for lunch.......

Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
5th Gear

it's the throttle body adjusting itself. it's not supposed to keep clicking on and on though. try cleaning it with throttle body cleaner.