B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Relay Wiring Harness with Resistor kit for my HID setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM
2nd Gear
Default Relay Wiring Harness with Resistor kit for my HID setup

Installing a Relay Wiring Harness with Resistor kit today,for my HID setup.

I don't know if you guys ever experienced this but when i connect my HID with H7 10K blue aqua bulbs on my 2001 A4 B5 AWM,i randomly get the bulb out warning beeping at me and the bulb out symbol turn on the display as the passenger HID bulb shuts off,the driver side stays on.

I would have to always turn off the day running lights and turn them back on again,for the passenger light to turn back on.

This happens every 10-15-20-30 minutes,its completely random,so i called up the site,HEADLIGHTHEAVEN.COM where i purchased the kit and he said some older cars and some newer cars,NEED a relay kit with Resistors,because some cars have sophisticated computers,that don't talk nice with HID kits.

So i purchased the relay kit with resistors and a 2nd set of H7 10k bulbs,only got them for $15.00,instead of the normal cost of $35.00,because i sent the H7 bulbs i had back to him for inspection,because one bulb with shining white,instead of aqua blue.

He said one bulb was damaged as the wire was coming out of the rubber grommet,so he sent me the new bulbs and my old bulbs back with the relay kit with resistors,the relay kit was $35.00 for a total of $50.00

He said there is also a benefit to using a relay kit with resistors,being connected directly to the battery,the bulbs with shine brighter and the ballasts and bulbs will last longer. is this true?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 AM
vgo
2nd Gear

Sounds about right. Do you have 55W ballast?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Administrator

10000k bulbs? Ick. How do you even see at night? I had 8000k on my old A4 and hated them.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
Sounds about right. Do you have 55W ballast?
Yes 55w ballasts

Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
10000k bulbs? Ick. How do you even see at night? I had 8000k on my old A4 and hated them.
To be Honest,i never installed HID lights for visual properties,i got it for aesthetics reasons.

I like the blue color,against my leather front end bra. I can see fine at night with them,without a problem. They will be even brighter,once i apply the relay kit.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Ahh as from what I've read from others, the 55w are the ones that give the bulb error.

They also say once you start going blue on the lights, it becomes difficult to see through rain because the lightwave reflects much more on the droplets. Hence, why yellow fogs are much more ideal for fog lights.

You error should go away with the kit you bought though

Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
Ahh as from what I've read from others, the 55w are the ones that give the bulb error.

They also say once you start going blue on the lights, it becomes difficult to see through rain because the lightwave reflects much more on the droplets. Hence, why yellow fogs are much more ideal for fog lights.

You error should go away with the kit you bought though
which wattage ballast,doesn't give the bulb error? I may not need a different ballast with a different wattage,because i will install the relay kit but if this doesn't work,i'll see other options if they are available.

What are some of the specs HID kits you guys have on your B5's?

I'm curious to know,if anyone is having the same issue i am and if not,whats your setup?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

I dont have a kit installed but I've read through a lot on these things just for future reference. Its the 55w HID setup that gives the bulb error. Stock setup uses 35w, and you should be able to find 35w aftermarket setups.

With those 55w 10,000k bulbs you are potentially blinding people ahead of you.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
I dont have a kit installed but I've read through a lot on these things just for future reference. Its the 55w HID setup that gives the bulb error. Stock setup uses 35w, and you should be able to find 35w aftermarket setups.

With those 55w 10,000k bulbs you are potentially blinding people ahead of you.
10k H7 bulbs are not bright by any means,so blinding any oncoming traffic isn't a issue for me,I've never been flashed.

I'll update my post with the results,once the relay kit is installed.