B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

remote central locking option code missing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 AM
1st Gear
Default remote central locking option code missing

Hey,

Just been looking at my option code sticker in the boot and it appears that there's no option code for remote central locking...

I.e. there's none of the following codes:

5D0 without carrier frequency
5D1 carrier frequency 433.92 MHz
5D2 carrier frequency 315 MHz
5D3 carrier frequency 315 MHz with reduced transmitting power
5D4 carrier frequency 315 MHz without panic button
5D5 carrier frequency 315 MHz with reduced transmitting power and enhanced registration
5D6 carrier frequency 315 MHz
5D7 carrier frequency 868 MHz without panic button
5D8 carrier frequency 868 MHz with panic button
5D9 carrier frequency 433.92 Mhz with modified transmission period

Where I would expect to see a 5D1 for my car within the UK.

I've been looking around on here and was wondering..

If this just means that the remote wasn't included, but remote central locking is still built into the car? I.e. I can enable it using VAG-COM etc?

or

It simply means it doesn't have the RF parts within the car to enable the use of a remote key fob?

Any help on this would be much appreciated!!!

My car is a 1998.5 A4q 2.8

Thanks, Justin.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17625/B46D96C7470E460B9919485F4921DC6B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: remote central locking option code missing

I am also in need of an answer to this. I didn't get a remote, am I SOL?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

For the RF number you need to find your Option Codes Sticker. If you go in your boot and have a look under the carpet near the righthand light cluster you should find a sticker near the spare wheel like the one in my post above. If you come across a code like 5D2 (see other codes above) then this means that remote central locking is definately installed as an option code but the person before you lost the remote keys! If there's no code then supposedly you don't have remote central locking.

I've heard various things such as the box under the rear seat (all I've got is a black ABS plastic box which is halfway under the front frame of the seats), but I'm pretty sure the remote control unit thing is within the central locking pump (which is right near that sticker in the boot). I think the part number of mine is 8LO 862 257A which doesn't have the remote control unit built into the pump. But I've been asking question as to whether you can replace the pump for a pump with the remote interface in it and I think the answer is a yes. So this maybe the way to go.

However, when I put my VAG-COM on my car and go to the central locking module, I can access the place where it tells you how many remotes are programmed (obviously it's just 0000 for me), and also the place where you reset the remotes to zero (so you can start programming new ones). This seems strange as I can access these modules but my central locking pump doesn't have the remote control unit inside. So there's that to think about!

Cheers, Justin.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

HEY good news! I got my remote to work! I don't think I have any of the codes you are talking about, nor could I find this box under the rear seat. I was just able to program at. I have the 4 button switchblade. Here's the problem I am having tho, When the garage door is closed, it works perfect! But when the garage door is open I have to be about a foot away from the gas door in order for it to work! WTF? any ideas? It is just so weird that it works perfect when the door is closed but sucks when it is open!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

That's strange. So when your cars inside the garage (with you inside the garage as well?) it works. But if the garage doors open it doesn't work that well. Maybe the door is reflecting the signals back towards the car or something.

So you don't have any of the 5D1 or 5D2 etc codes on that sticker?

Also what programming instructions did you use to get the remote matched up? Cheers.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

it is really strange, if I am inside the garage with the door closed it works perfect. But when I open the garage door, the only way it will work is if I point the remote less than a foot away from the rear passenger pilar. I am assuming that is where the antenna is but WTF? I should be able to be at least 10ft way! But yeah I don't get it. I check the battaries and im getting 2.9V and 3.01V on them and 6.01v together so I don't know. I know there is an antenna mod, but i don't know if that will help considering I have to be inches away from the pilar outside of the garage. Anyone else know?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

i used the key in the ignition in the on position. Go outside the car lock and unlock it with the second key with the ignition still on, then hit the unlock button on the remote. And i do not have that code in the boot paper list.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

That's very interesting... Do you have a US model Audi? As I know their central locking pumps have different part numbrs to our UK ones. Do you know the part number of the central locking pump at all. It'll be something like 8LO 862 257 B or N.

To program my key I've done the same as you apart from i went outside the car, shut the door, then locked it.. Then pressed unlock on the remote. So what your saying is you LOCK then UNLOCK wit the key and then presss UNLOCK on the remote. I'll have to give that one a try tomorrow!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

I have a US a4, but yes you lock then unlock. But still horrible signal, less than a foot from the passenger rear pillar.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

I see well i'll give it a crack tomorrow.

I think there's a post somewhere about extending the range of the antenna? As I think it lays under the back seat surrounded by the metal exterior of the car (good work Audi on that one!).

Can I ask where abouts you stand when you hit the UNLOCK button on your remote when programming, because I stand really close to the drivers door (well the right hand door in the UK). Maybe I should go over to the left hand door possibly?! Cool weel I'll give it all a go tomorrow.