B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

removing cat, can i get rid of the emissions code?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:15 AM
1st Gear
Default removing cat, can i get rid of the emissions code?

hello my wise audi sages

i have a 2001 1.8T about 160,000 miles or so
im planning on removing my catalytic converter. but alas i live in massachusetts so i have to pass emissions standards. luckily my car will be 13 years old very soon so i will not be required to conform to emissions. the problem is that even though they wont check my levels at the garage, if i have a code (check engine light on) for whatever reason, i will get a rejection sticker.

so i was wondering what part i should buy specifically to be able to pass emissions after my cat has been removed is it just a certain kind of 02 sensor? is this even possible? input please.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

If you use a test pipe you can use an O2 sensor spacer that should prevent it from throwing a code. The other way is to have the sensor custom coded out of the ECU.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:29 AM
1st Gear

sweet, i like the first option im definitely just putting a test pipe in,

im assuming i only have to space out the second o2 sensor right? so im not messing around with my fuel.

if anybody has used any spacers that work for this problem im having id very much like to know the one they used so i dont waste my money, im looking at this one right now O2 Sensor Spacer, For Bosch Style Sensors - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

I tried using the spacers on my 2000 1.8T and they did not work. Just my 2 cents. I instead opted for getting a chip and having them coded out, best $500 I've ever spent. I highly recommend that as an upgrade

Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

I don't know about the 1.8... but in the 2.8 we have pre-cat's. The secondary 02 is located between the pre-cat and the cat. If you were to remove the cat and install straight pipe or even just gut the cat... you would still pass emissions because it shouldn't throw a code.

On the other hand... I don't know if they still use that nozzle mechanism in Mass. What I am referring to is that mechanism they put right next to your exhaust to manually check the emissions coming out of your vehicle. Sometimes they are sneaky so you gotta watch out.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kamil`
I don't know about the 1.8... but in the 2.8 we have pre-cat's. The secondary 02 is located between the pre-cat and the cat. If you were to remove the cat and install straight pipe or even just gut the cat... you would still pass emissions because it shouldn't throw a code.

On the other hand... I don't know if they still use that nozzle mechanism in Mass. What I am referring to is that mechanism they put right next to your exhaust to manually check the emissions coming out of your vehicle. Sometimes they are sneaky so you gotta watch out.
See the thing is that yes they use the nozzle to check emissions BUT if your car is 13 years or older they don't hook it up or test emissions in any way so I'm good. Problem is that if the check engine light is on for any reason I fail, even if it's an emissions code! Crazy I know.

Also, been doing a little more research and I guess the secondary o2 sensor will pass if it's operating within a certain voltage range, so I should b able to add resistance to it and fool it. Gonna find a tutorial vid tonight and post it

Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JavanT
I tried using the spacers on my 2000 1.8T and they did not work. Just my 2 cents. I instead opted for getting a chip and having them coded out, best $500 I've ever spent. I highly recommend that as an upgrade
Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but if you spaced the primary o2 sensor won't that mess up your fuel to air mix causing another engine light? The secondary is the only one I need to replace I believe

Old 10-22-2013, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hebert12lax1
Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but if you spaced the primary o2 sensor won't that mess up your fuel to air mix causing another engine light? The secondary is the only one I need to replace I believe
Yes you're right. I should have been more specific, I didn't touch my primary. Only tried spacing the secondary. I tried several methods/spacers to no avail.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JavanT
Yes you're right. I should have been more specific, I didn't touch my primary. Only tried spacing the secondary. I tried several methods/spacers to no avail.
Well if your car isn't running any other prefomance parts and was in the same situation as I am then you just saved me 30 bucks thank you!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hebert12lax1
Well if your car isn't running any other prefomance parts and was in the same situation as I am then you just saved me 30 bucks thank you!
30 bucks on what?