B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Replace CV boot or Axle?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Replace CV boot or Axle?

So i just got an audi a4 2.8 v6 5v (i still dont exactly know what the 5v is) it has a broken cv boot so i will want to replace it since the grease is getting everywhere in the wheel well. I was thinking of just replacing the cv boot itself along with the grease that goes inside which is about 15-20$.
yesterday i was looking at some videos on the Tube to how it comes out and someone mentioned that its around 50$ to replace the axle. which means less grease on me not struggling with the outer axle to come off(i hope).
so what do you guys think is the best way to go. i have not heard any noises coming from the axle but it is on the passenger side. i see it as replacing the axle for 50 instead of 20 for the boot now and 50 later for the axle.

here is the link Front Right Axle

and there is the install guide Audi A4 Front Drive Axle Replacement

Thanks

Old 06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like you know the parts price difference between the axle and the boot kit. It comes down to how dirty you want to get. You should search the forum and see how difficult it is to get the cv joint off the shaft too, since you'll have to do that to get the boot on and off. It's faster and cleaner to R and R the shaft assy. 5v is for five valve engine. 3 intakes and 2 exhausts per cylinder. If you don't hear any clicking or other noises your cv joints are probably in good shape.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Site Moderator

The stock axles are far superior to aftermarket, just get a boot repair kit. However i've never found a GOOD CV boot repair kit for less than $60. New axles from audi are around $800.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

i'd spend the extra bucks, save myself some of the trouble and mess, and go for the axle. i have a cv joint + boot kit just sitting in a box because i don't have a press/reliable way of knocking the two apart and back together.

as for the 5v, your car is a 30v. its a 6 cylinder engine with 5 valves for each cylinder.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Administrator

You can replace the joint with hand tools. It's not difficult and allows you to have a new joint on the stock axle, which as stated above is superior to the hit-or-miss aftermarket units.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
Sounds like you know the parts price difference between the axle and the boot kit. It comes down to how dirty you want to get. You should search the forum and see how difficult it is to get the cv joint off the shaft too, since you'll have to do that to get the boot on and off. It's faster and cleaner to R and R the shaft assy. 5v is for five valve engine. 3 intakes and 2 exhausts per cylinder. If you don't hear any clicking or other noises your cv joints are probably in good shape.
I believe that the cv joint is held by a clip but it still has to come off with some force. as far as i know from what i have read its the cv joint (the outer) has to come off and be cleaned. since i do not know how long that boot has been broken for and how dirty it is i think it would just be easiest to replace the axle and since it not much of a difference i would not mind it.

Originally Posted by auditech79
The stock axles are far superior to aftermarket, just get a boot repair kit. However i've never found a GOOD CV boot repair kit for less than $60. New axles from audi are around $800.
i have been looking for something for the last couple of days but have not found something. i found this one and it looks like its not one of the universal boots that you have to cut and fit. yes i know audi would have better parts for the car but i dont think i will be buying anything from them directly.

Originally Posted by Lornnn
i'd spend the extra bucks, save myself some of the trouble and mess, and go for the axle. i have a cv joint + boot kit just sitting in a box because i don't have a press/reliable way of knocking the two apart and back together.

as for the 5v, your car is a 30v. its a 6 cylinder engine with 5 valves for each cylinder.
? to the second thing you said. what do you mean by the "press/reliable way of knocking the two apart and back together."

thanks for everything guys and for clarifying the 5v

edit:

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You can replace the joint with hand tools. It's not difficult and allows you to have a new joint on the stock axle, which as stated above is superior to the hit-or-miss aftermarket units.
so your saying to replace just the boot and the end of the axle that is under the boot right? this?

Last edited by KoolMan; 06-15-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
i didn't even bother since i didn't have a press. you're saying removing the old joint and pounding a new one on alone and without the use of a press is advisable?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Lornnn
i didn't even bother since i didn't have a press. you're saying removing the old joint and pounding a new one on alone and without the use of a press is advisable?
A press? Its not a wheel bearing, the joint pops off with a standard gear puller or a slide hammer threaded into the joint. You can rent a gear puller from autozone if you needed to.
The stock joint is ALSO superior to aftermarket, i guarantee you the stock joint is fine. Take it off, clean it out with brake cleaner (or put it in a hotsy washer) grease that bitch up, line it back up with the splines and wack it with a hammer until you hear a thud. Slap the new boot on (not a cut or bolt together type) and call it a day.
www.ecstuning.com sells a boot repair kit equal to the dealers.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

so you guys are saying to go with the boot and clean the entire joint before adding the new grease right?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

I did many cv joints on 5000's, and in looking at the outer front boot kit for your 01 A4 it has the same circlip style parts as the 5000 does. So I'd do this:
remove axle assy
put it in a vise, tightly. Take the outer clamps off the boot
slide the boot away from the joint towards the vise, or cut it off to get it out of the way
grab the splined end with your hand and hit the outer cv with a hammer
it will dislodge from the inner circlip without you even knowing it, and slide off the shaft
Then you can turn the inner cv bearing wayyy sideways and that lets you remove the ***** and the cage. Inspect for pitting or heat marks. Clean, be plentiful with the grease and reassemble.

You will find it comes off the shaft pretty easy. There is not much force at all keeping it in place once it's out of the car. So you can get away with hitting it with a hammer without doing damage to the internal parts which are tough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace CV boot or Axle?