B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Replacing head gasket - what mods should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Default RE: Replacing head gasket - what mods should I do?

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

ORIGINAL: pimphell

I think that you should have the head flowed and port and polish everything. That will make it live a little
You dont know what head he is using nor power level. A stock AEB head doesnt really need a port job and he wont see real gains porting a small port to big port on a sub 300whp car.

Why do you insist on trying to bash me?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 PM

It's simple advice, the head is off anyways?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Tech Guru

I think that you should have the head flowed and port and polish everything. That will make it live a little
You dont know what head he is using nor power level. A stock AEB head doesnt really need a port job and he wont see real gains porting a small port to big port on a sub 300whp car.

cause more $hit comes out of your mouth than out of my a$$, and i $hit everyday

lurk on the forums and learn before you spew nonsense

Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: spwilkins

I bought this car with the head off, the timing belt wiped out, and every valve bent. If I want to have a little fun, thats not too expensive, what modifications should I consider whenputting this thing back together? Also, aftermarket valves are alot cheaper than Audi parts - why?

You didn't happen to buy that car in CA?

You have to watch out when ordering aftermarket valves, not all of them are up to stock standards and not all OEM style exhaust valves are filled.

For a little more money I would suggest paying a little more money for a set of 1 piece inconel exhaust valves which cost around $29.50 each vs $22 for a stock version.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

cause more $hit comes out of your mouth than out of my a$$, and i $hit everyday

lurk on the forums and learn before you spew nonsense
Thats a pretty good sumation. BTW, that was FAR from bashing. As for this car, if you are stock and dont plan on much more than that, stock parts will be best unless you want to shell out for what mike recommended. About the only gain you could see is some NA cams but are hard to come by and still not worth the small gain

Old 06-18-2008, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

yeah i think a question like this all comes down to how much $$ you got and what your goals are. we got the goals, just a 'trick' or two, but how much do you have to spend?

i gotta agree w/ cincy on this one, a port and polish is pretty useless if thats all you do. ive looked at the inside of the head that i took of my car and the walls seem pretty clean and theres no point in porting it to fit up to a stock intake mani and turbo. if you wanna go all out i would do a 3 angle valve job, some cams and nice strong valves and you should see a little difference. but like others have said, not much on a low hp car.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:01 PM

So your telling me that a simple port and polish and maybe flow the head wouldn't be worth it on the stock engine. Where have you got an education? Opening up the head makes a difference in any car, especially a turbo car. Even in lower hp levels and of course your going to see a better gain with the rest of the engine being built up on higher hp levels. come on now

Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Look, if he's planning on a~250 WHP car, the head is not the most restrictive portion of the engine. Hence you will see little gains from portingthe head. spend about 20 hours gasket matchinga head and then get 2hp on a dyno... tell me it's worth it. if you're not utilizing 100% of the head's flow, increasing that potential to 110% makes no differance.

The flip side is if you're building a 500hp motor,if you gain10% in flow through the port job it equates to a significant gain on a large power build...

If i'm hearing cincy right, he's not saying it does nothing, he's saying there are no potential gains when the flow of the head is not the bottleneck. I agree with that statement.

Ryan

Old 06-19-2008, 04:28 PM
2nd Gear

So your telling me that a simple port and polish and maybe flow the head wouldn't be worth it on the stock engine. Where have you got an education? Opening up the head makes a difference in any car, especially a turbo car. Even in lower hp levels and of course your going to see a better gain with the rest of the engine being built up on higher hp levels. come on now
for the money...on a car w/ less then 300 hp this would be useless. of course he can go and spend the money on that, but you wont see much of a difference. if you look at the stock head, its pretty damn smooth in there so a polish wouldnt do much, and if you port it, with the stock intake mani theres not gunna be much more airflow, because the mani is still the same size. what are you not getting about that? if the guy wants to spend money on porting and polishing a head to gain under 5 hp then thats fine, but he wants to kno what would be worth it and what would make a difference, therefore a port and polish job is basically useless.

he can save the few hundred bucks and chip it and see a way bigger difference.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm make believe

A "simple" port and polish is still far from cheap and will only net a very minimum gain on a stockish car. The large cost for very small gain is not worth it. I like how you ? my education and you come on here and post BS all over the place. I think the more you talk, the more Turbo Kraut looks right

Quick Reply: Replacing head gasket - what mods should I do?