B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Replacing Worn Suspension Parts, Which Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Talking Replacing Worn Suspension Parts, Which Parts?

----What are the common parts in the front suspenion that wear out and need to be reaplaced at 125k miles? (Don't want to replace everything up front)

Suspension never touched, stock. Front end makes lovely noises while hitting bumps, sounds like ball joints. Here is the problem. I live in downtown Chicago with no access to any tools. I would like to buy parts online and have them sent to my parents house in Michigan to do the work while I am at my parents for Easter. So I have only one day to do the work, and I don't know exactly what needs to be replaced. I will have no problem doing the work, I have a lot of experience working on cars.

My guess is that I should buy upper control arms and sway bar link bushings for both sides. (I can see the sway bar link bushings are worn out, but nothing else I have noticed with a wheel off)

Thank you.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Get a kit and replace it all or only whats bad, then when something goes bad you already have the part! I bought my front end kit for $300 and got everything driver and passenger. Replaced whole passenger side and only tie rod end on driver... It'll save ya cash in the long run.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Yep do it all. My kit from FCP Groton was $242.10 shipped. Gives all 8 front control arms, both outer TREs, and swaybar end links. Worth the effort and time - my car feels like it's brand-new now.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator

I would agree with Choco and Devil, buying all at once will save you TONS of cash. I learned that lesson the hard way. My only concern is that you said you only have one day to do the work. Do you think you can replace 8 control arms,TRE's, plus the end links in one day?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Administrator

It can definitely be done in a day but having an extra set of hands or two will make a huge difference. And even from an aftermarket oem supplier, two rearward upper control arms and one forward arm will exceed the cost of the whole kit from FCP Groton. Hints for success - have a map gas torch and a small sledgehammer for the pinch bolts, and a penetrating fluid like Kroil on hand. Life won't be worth living without those items.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Well thanks for the great answers. I just might have to get that kit. I will have two friends over to help me, so maybe I could get all the work done in one day. $242 shipped is better than I was expecting for a full kit. It looks like prices might have increased on their website. Do you have a link to that kit for that price?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator

What I did was found them on eBay (price was lower) and then called and asked if I could order over the phone and get the eBay price and the free shipping they offered, and they said no problem. Find it there and then call them - give them the eBay item number and you're in business.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Are the ebay kits any good?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by junya
Are the ebay kits any good?
The FCP Groton ones are. We've all used them from around here. Under $250 and you're golden.

OP: I'm chiming in with the rest, well worth it to do the whole deal. Offer a friend, neighbor, the mailman, whoever a few beers to give ya a hand and follow devil's advice on the heat and good penetrating oil. Better yet soak those pinch bolt for 3 days continually before doing the job. just dowse them about 3 times a day for 3 days and hope for the best. Those pinch bolts and the rear lower control arm bolts are the only pain in the *** bolts and the tre's can be a real pain too but that's another reason for the map gas. Make sure it's MAP gas or better yet a map gas/ oxygen combo.

Quick Reply: Replacing Worn Suspension Parts, Which Parts?