B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

s4 suspension on my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Default s4 suspension on my car

I was wondering how much lower my car would be with an s4 suspension on it. I have the 2.8 with non-sport supsension on it.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Default RE: s4 suspension on my car

I'll let you know with a pic post once I install it - I have the same car and also a set of S4 springs to go on it. It should be comparable to a sport-suspension A4 though, from what I can tell.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 PM
6th Gear

I'm not sure exactly but it would sit right about where the Stock S4 sits since the 2.8 and the S4 have a close weight. So to answer your question, find an S4 with stock suspension and measure ground to fender and then you will have how low your car will be. i don't know of the tp of my head.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear

Why not Eibach, H&R, etc...?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:08 PM
6th Gear

maybe he got a good deal on a set of S4 stuff or he doesn't want to drop it all crazy low with a race spec set-up or spend the $$$ on the Sport ones. A lot of reasons possibly.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

I got a killer deal on S4 springs from klum00 (total cost - one CV boot kit), so I can hardly complain. I'm going to try them out and see what I think of them. If it's not enough of a drop for my tastes, I'll go with Vmaxx coilovers. But for the cost, I can't NOT try them out and it may be just what I'm looking for. I spent enough time in my Z dealing with cambered tires that I really don't want to get back into dealing with that again, so we'll see if the S4 drop is enough. If so, great. If not, Vmaxx will go onto the car.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:15 PM

ya theres a guy selling his s4 suspension in my neighborhood. i dont want it too low because even with my nonsport suspension, i managed to crack the oilpan in the snow here. I was taking a look at the VMaxx but i also heard from someone that they are sort of soft. I'd rather pay the extra few hundred bucks for a set of coilovers that is great for the track as well as city. Let me know Jeremy when you get your suspension on and maybe a pic.... cheaper for lower is fine in my book

Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Will do. I'm definitely going to try them out and if I do want to go lower, then I'll go with Vmaxx. I don't track the car, and have no plans to do so - I just want a lowered ride height and the associated handling benefits that come with that. I don't need a full-blooded track car, and to be honest, if I do get that itch, it won't be an A4 that I build. I'd start with something more biased for performance from the start and use that as a platform to modify. For this car, I just want something that drives as nicely as the car does, and can acquit itself in the turns when needed, without going overboard. Vmaxx is softer than the hardcore coilover sets from Tein, Stasis, et al - those are definitely made with a strong performance bias, whereas Vmaxx is more of what I want out of my A4 - lower height, some handling improvement, but not kidney-busting ride and the kind of cornering that'll throw my sunglasses out the window and into Indiana.

Once I have them on though, a pic post will definitely be coming.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:41 PM

I feel exactly what your saying about the track. I never intend to take my car to the track but i also would like to get a bang for my buck on a coilover setup. If i was ever going to track a car the 2.8 would be one of the last ones to bring. I love my car to death, just wish we had a few more options to tune. I feel ya on not wanting a rough ride, i mean after all we drive an audi. thnks fo rthe input and cant wait for pics