B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Setting crank to TDC with head off

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Setting crank to TDC with head off

I am still in the middle of a head install on a 1.8t. I got the cams timed with the help of Redline, thanks, but now I am confused on the correct way to set the crank to TDC. Cams are at TDC and the head is off. So should I just rotate the crank until the #1 piston is a the highest point with the head off then go about installing the head or is there another way to do it? Thanks

Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 PM

If you have your crank pulley on, there will be a mark on it that will line up with a mark on the lower timing belt cover when the block is at TDC.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Legal Moderator

to do it with the head off yeah just put #1 piston straight up but its not advised to do this. put the crank in the middle with all pistons at half stroke. install head at tdc. then install lower timing belt cover and then put on harmonic balancer. verify timing mark on cam gear is dead on with timing mark on valve cover. dont put the valve cover on yet because you need to verify the timing marks on the cams are at tdc still. this is why you leave the pistons at half stroke cause if you need to adjust the valve timing it wont hit the pistons. once you verify both cams are at tdc AND timing mark on cam gear is dead on with valve cover timing mark, rotate the balancer until the timing mark on there meets the timing mark on the lower timing belt cover. install belt and reverify timing marks are dead on all around. rotate engine at least a few times (i recommend alot) to check for obvious interference

Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

cams are timed with 16 links inbetween cam marks, but the cam shaft pulley, is not lined up with the valve cover..what would be the correct way to line the cam pulley up with the mark on the valve cover..if i rotate the cam pulley with a wrench, the cam marks are out of line at this point and not at TDC...and taking off the cam gear pulley is hard to do since i cant get the head to stand still to try to loosen the bolt to re-align it with the valve cover...is there a correct way to do it or do i have the right mind set? thanks redline!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Legal Moderator

Use an impact wrench to remove those so it isn't so difficult. As for your timing the cam works need to line up with the arrow on the caps although most places will tell you atleast one will be slightly off. Try to set it up best you can and post photos

Old 12-30-2022, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by crazyquik22023
cams are timed with 16 links inbetween cam marks, but the cam shaft pulley, is not lined up with the valve cover..what would be the correct way to line the cam pulley up with the mark on the valve cover..if i rotate the cam pulley with a wrench, the cam marks are out of line at this point and not at tdc...and taking off the cam gear pulley is hard to do since i cant get the head to stand still to try to loosen the bolt to re-align it with the valve cover...is there a correct way to do it or do i have the right mind set? Thanks redline!
​​​​​​
good day. I have the same problem. Crank is at tdc,cams aswell but the cam pulley is way of. The cam pulley connects to the exhaust cam,so it should be fine seeing it rotates together. What is the problem. Help please

Old 01-03-2023, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like the key on your cam gear may be sheared. You will need to remove it and rekey it and hope your valves are not bent. You can put vice grips on the cam to stop it from rotating while you spin the cam bolt off. Good luck.