B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Sick of my headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

^ don't buy halo lights.

extremely cheaply made, the led's burnout within a few months, the projectors make the lights go in a V shape and end up shining the ditch, they don't fit right, and are prone to leaking.

I made the mistake of buying those for my last B5, spent more time complaining about them rather than liking them.

IMO the factory 1 piece projectors with clear corners are the cleanest looking lights for the B5

Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm make believe

None of the LEDs like said before flow with the car. Halos are poser and also look bad. My 96 has shitty lights even with the fogs on so some stockish ecodes with an hid kit will be in my future after tax time

Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

i have the helix 2 piece black projectors with the halos, which i never plugged in. it just looks stupid imo.. i had them for about a year before i threw in hid... they look awesome now. i did the 55w large ballast raptor kit from ddm tuning.. took about a week and a half to get here from china, not bad actually, esp for the price. you really can't beat 60 bucks. i got 5000k cause i knew they'd be bright, and i didn't want bright blue. it's pure white, not a hint of blue or yellow. its piercing. honestly though, if i was going to do it again i'd just do the 35 watt, the 55s are ******* bright as ****. i get flashed on the highway all the time by people... i know it sucks, and i'm a douche, but i'm also lazy. i figure they're in, so whatever. if it comes to it, i'll replace them with 35s after these die.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 AM
2nd Gear

I run 55W HIDs. They are bright, but properly aimed with good optics to control the light and keep it out of other driver's faces.

I would guess that it is the quality of the projector and the aiming that is getting you flashed. How is the cutoff with those projectors? This is what they should look like.
Name:  2011-10-16_19-27-54_534.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  59.1 KB

Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

the cutoff's fine, about like yours except the light flairs up a little higher on the right sides. they may be aimed a little high, but they come below the top of the trunk lid on cars in front of me so i'm not blinding people coming from behind.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ou2mame
i have the helix 2 piece black projectors with the halos, which i never plugged in. it just looks stupid imo.. i had them for about a year before i threw in hid... they look awesome now. i did the 55w large ballast raptor kit from ddm tuning.. took about a week and a half to get here from china, not bad actually, esp for the price. you really can't beat 60 bucks. i got 5000k cause i knew they'd be bright, and i didn't want bright blue. it's pure white, not a hint of blue or yellow. its piercing. honestly though, if i was going to do it again i'd just do the 35 watt, the 55s are ******* bright as ****. i get flashed on the highway all the time by people... i know it sucks, and i'm a douche, but i'm also lazy. i figure they're in, so whatever. if it comes to it, i'll replace them with 35s after these die.

Just FYI, DDM Tuning is actually a US based company located in California.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

yeah i know.. but they have their kits shipped directly from china. when i got the tracking number it was coming from china to my house. which was pretty quick. i had to order a tire off ebay (blew a runflat) and it took longer for the tire than the hid kit. i'm actually surprised at how good they look, i really didn't expect too much for the price... but i think they are too bright, if thats possible. i'll take a pic tonight so you can see, but with the crap helix lights, they still look pretty even.

Last edited by ou2mame; 02-24-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik
Just FYI, DDM Tuning is actually a US based company located in California.
They ship their kits from China though! And they're phone customer service is pretty slow. You can always expect to be put on hold for about 15 to 20 minutes unless you know who to talk to

Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Administrator

That's weird. I've ordered several kits from them for some of my friends and they always came from their San Diego warehouse. I know there's one in San Diego and one in Huntington Beach.

Could it be that I'm from Cali and that's why they ship it locally?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 PM
2nd Gear

Hmmm... that could be. I've bought a few things from them and all the packages come directly from China which might be cheaper for them shipping wise because I'm on the east coast whereas it might be cheaper to ship locally to you

Quick Reply: Sick of my headlights