B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Speedomete and Tachometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Default Speedomete and Tachometer not working

Hey guys its been a while, ive recently replaces my upper control arms, tie rod ends, a cv axle and an abs sensor. The cv axle and abs sensor on the drivers side.

So i got an inspection and new front tires the other day, probably doesnt have to do with my problem, and a few days later my speedometer and tachometer stopped working. The tach just sits at 0 while the speedometer flutters a bit at 0, even after the car is turn off it takes a few minutes for it to come to a complete stop. Everything was working when i had a bad abs sensor and when i replaced the abs sensor, i even unplugged the one i replaced and still no luck. I also checked the fuse, but didnt think that would be it because the rest of the dash is working. Any ideas would be very helpful. thanks!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Speedo and Tacho

I have exactly the same problem but I haven't found any links how to solve this problem. Sometimes both meters work when car is started and keep working until car is switched off and after that could be several driving times and meters doesn´t work. ?????

Old 01-16-2015, 12:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Same Issue

I am having that same issue. Sometimes (about every 4-5 time I start the car) the speedometer and tach don't work. Has anyone every found a fix to this problem? I use an app on my phone for the speedometer when I need to but it just get annoying more than anything else.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear

I was going to recommend to check the fuse but you said you already did that. Odd problem for sure, interesting that multiple people are having the same issue. Doesn't seem like a wiring issue either since the rest of the display is working.

Got me stumped that's for sure.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Same issue here too

Hi guys,

I have the exact same problem. Tacho not working at all, and speedo flutters around 0. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, they work. Everything else on the cluster is working fine.
Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
My car: A4 B5 '95

Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 AM
1st Gear
Default frustrated

I have a problem with my 2000 Audi a4 avant b5,my car is revving when I turn the key then dying again,can't get it started at all,and the dash cluster won't illuminate,just the abs,parking and battery light are coming on,also the speedo,rev counter,fuel,and battery meter are not moving,has anyone same issues?if so can anyone please help me sort this out..thanks

Old 02-03-2015, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

It may sound a bit 'gorillaish' but give your cluster a whack when it goes out. The fact that everything works with exception to the tach and speedo leads me to believe you have a cracked solder joint at a ground connection in your instrument cluster. I've had this exact same problem with my oil temp gauge...works perfect sometimes and then pegs all the way to 350 degrees. A swift whack on the top of the dash will get it working again. I've pulled my cluster and disassembled it; re-soldering some connections(I also had some weirdness in my coolant temp gauge and re-soldering fixed it). Used instrument clusters can be had at salvage yards, ebay, or forum classifieds for cheap money....Id start there if you don't want to disassemble yours.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

This happened to me last night after I cleared my check engine codes for misfires (I will need to sort that out also)

I just bought the car and had not had this issue until I cleared the check engine light last night. I did the dash banging suggestion and it worked for the night. The next morning the RPM and speedometer would not work even with plenty of bangs on the dash.

1996 Audi A4 2.8

Old 01-10-2022, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default It's an engine error

Hi All, I had the same problem with my old Audi A4 combi (estate 1996), I took it to three mechanics and two told me it was the dash cluster needed changing, I then took it to a local mechanic and he said all the clocks, dials are fine, when this happens, it is the computer system giving you a warning that something is wrong with the timing, firing system of the engine, when I hit the dash they would work, apparently that knocks a sensor in the dash to turn this off, as it is illegal to drive without a working speedo, I left my car with this guy and he changed the spark plugs and the leads, one of the leads had a crack in it, I haven't had the problem since, so my advice is to check your spark plugs and leads first and get everything checked by a mechanic who knows about this issue, even Audi told me to replace the cluster, grr, glad I didn't!!

Old 07-29-2023, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by neilcho
Hi All, I had the same problem with my old Audi A4 combi (estate 1996), I took it to three mechanics and two told me it was the dash cluster needed changing, I then took it to a local mechanic and he said all the clocks, dials are fine, when this happens, it is the computer system giving you a warning that something is wrong with the timing, firing system of the engine, when I hit the dash they would work, apparently that knocks a sensor in the dash to turn this off, as it is illegal to drive without a working speedo, I left my car with this guy and he changed the spark plugs and the leads, one of the leads had a crack in it, I haven't had the problem since, so my advice is to check your spark plugs and leads first and get everything checked by a mechanic who knows about this issue, even Audi told me to replace the cluster, grr, glad I didn't!!
I have the same problem . Tach and Speedometer does not work at all. If it was the timing wouldn't it through a check engine light. And my car it does not seem like the car is not operating correctly. No misfires, etc.

Quick Reply: Speedomete and Tachometer not working