B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

SPS - Stretch 'n Poke Society

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 AM
1st Gear

Hmm, interesting thread.

I just stick with the right tyre size for my rim width, and run the car at a reasonable height. That is, I can give my buddies a ride, and my oil pan won't get smashed by moderate bumps.

Those with tyres sticking out of the shell, especially dark-colored cars, what do you do about stone chips? Your car will be shotblasted after a while, if the wheels are not covered by the arches.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:53 AM

All this talk about stretching and poking sounds dirty lol, im learning. I am considering going way low when I get my coils in the spring not as low as you aledelic but low enough for people to say WTF how?!? I might as well being it won't matter how low I go I will not be able to get in my driveway if i went as low as 1.5".... I will be forced to park on the street in the summer. I will not however stretch due to the fact that I cannot afford my tires wearing out every 30,000

Kriptonik do you have any pics when you ran staggered?

Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Administrator

^ No I'm sorry.

I had them on for literally a week before I decided I did not like the look. That's why the wheels and tires are still in brand new condition if anyone's interested. I prefer local sale tho. (There's my shameless plug)

I had to run negative camber with adjustable arms so I could fit the 9.5 inch wheels with low offset in the rears. All in all, it was different but it wasn't my taste.

Siena - I understand what you're saying. I think the stretch look is based on personal taste. Some people would argue about the safety and the fact that it's pointless but some would also argue about how it completes the car more with an amazing stance.
At the end though, I think all these varieties make our scene unique and keeps it from getting boring since not everyone is doing the same thing to their cars.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:50 AM
1st Gear

Got you, Kripton.

Yes, the safety and practical aspect is what worries me. It's not just the fact folk fit 150mph+ tyres to their cars, and yet are only able to corner safely at 40mph. My buddy was into the stretch / poke scene with his Rabbit. It took 2 issues to get him off - one was a blow-out when the tyre broke free of the rim whilst we were in convoy on the Autoroute through Paris. The tyres were barely a month old.

The second was when his rear tyre threw a rock up, smashing the windshield of a school bus that was following. He ended up getting prosecuted, after the insurance deemed the incident his fault, and he only escaped a 6-month jail term, because his parents paid a massive undisclosed fine to the local council, that operated the bus, which ran off the road when the rock struck.

Then of course, there's the wear factor, and practicality. Babylon boys are getting pretty hot on stretched, poked and slammed cars over here. They also have the powers to impound cars that offend, and declare them unroadworthy.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DankesterA4
I will not however stretch due to the fact that I cannot afford my tires wearing out every 30,000
I wish my tires could last that long. I got tires that were rated 80,000 miles and they won't pass inspection any more with about 4k on them

Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 AM

daaaaaamn! camber that bad?!? Does going that low chew your tires up bad and do they make camber kits ofr coilovers like they do for just a strut spring combo? On my 02 civic when I had it I was running tien springs tokico struts and spc camber kit in the rear. That car was so slow but could corner like no other

edit: lol just read your sig aledelic, changed your mind on the merc wheels, your becoming a wheel ***** . What route you going now?

Last edited by DankesterA4; 09-22-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear

They do have adjustable kits but they're like $800 or something..

I put the wheels up for trade when I got them just to see what I could get, nobody offered anything I was too interested in beside maybe 17x8 bbs lm reps but I think I'll stick with the merc wheels.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear

I like the squared stance, but stretched tires are a terrible idea. They handle poorly, offer the rim no protection, and ruin the tire. Not to mention, it looks terrible... like the tire doesn't fit. This stuff is strictly for show cars, not daily drivers.

You can get that stance without endangering yourself behind the wheel. Stick with a better proportioned tire and use wheel spacers. H&R and ECS offer all sorts of sizes to poke your wheels out without getting excessively wide rims and stretching the tires.

Kriptonik, we gotta see some pics!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:52 AM
3rd Gear

You can't easily get a good stance without smaller tires though. But I agree that they are for form > function kind of people.

Stretched still wins.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Yeah I would have to agree. I have form > function in mind.
Also the B5 isn't the daily so it doesn't get that much road time to get scratches and what not.

And as for me, I rarely take my car fast in the corners since I rub. I guess you can say I'm all show with no go.

Quick Reply: SPS - Stretch 'n Poke Society