B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
1st Gear
Talking stereo upgrade

I know there are tons of posts out there... But I could still not figure few of basic things..
I have non-bose delta cassette stereo with Nokia speakers.
And I want to get mp3 receiver and change the rear 6-1/2" speakers.
1. Do I need 2ch or 4 ch receiver?
2. Any Head unit any of you have which has red only display?
3. A good 6-1/2" speakers for <$100.00.
4. Has anyone used the crutchfield install kit and would he recommend it?

Thanx...

Bix

Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 AM
3rd Gear

Many aftermarket head-units should allow you to change the color of the display, you should definitely check to see if this is an option for any head-unit you are looking at.

I bought a pair of Kicker speakers from Amazon, and am amazed at the difference, even when paired with the stock amp.

Save yourself a hassle and order adapter kits for the front and rear speakers. I got mine from Nexxia. http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits.htm

The stereo install kit from Crutchfield is fine, I used one in my car. Don't know if there is a better option.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 AM
1st Gear

Tx for the reply..
So, you mean to say that it will be tough to fit the newer 6-1/2" speakers in place of older 6-1/2 " speakers!
I thought it should be simply easy although taking off the entire rear panel for speaker access is kindda PITA

Also, would I need 2 way/3 way/5 way speakers??

My car has 2 rear 6-1/2 and 2 front 4-1/2 with 2 tweeters. My limited knowledge reminds me that tweeters are connected simply through the front speakers!

Last edited by bixing; 01-21-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 AM
3rd Gear

The stock speakers have an adapter attached to them that you can hack up to re-use but its a pain in the ***. Trust me, for the small price to pay for adapters from the site I provided, it'll make the install that much easier.

2-way speakers should be sufficient for a simple set-up and will help you stay in your price range.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:14 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Cool..Will do.

tx

Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

I too would recommend going with 2 way speakers, I'm an audio nut and to me 3 way and especially 4 or 5 way speakers are just fluff. If you go to any car audio website and look at the really expensive brands of speakers, you'll see that they don't even make 3, 4 or 5 way speakers, just components and 2 way coaxials. I think Kenwood is usually good at making head units that include red in their color scheme selection, but I'm sure that there are others. As far as 2 or 4 channel, most of the decent head units out there are going to have 4 channels of amplification. Unless you are planning on adding an external amp, you'll want 4 channels, since you'll be having front and back, left and right speakers. As far as brands for your 6.5" speakers go, there's a ton of decent different brands out there. I've had good luck ordering stuff through Sonic Electronix, I've used them several times and have always received exactly what I ordered in a short amount of time. Check them out and you'll find a bunch of different 6.5"s for around $100 or less.

Last edited by BT5150; 01-21-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:46 AM
1st Gear
Angry

I am looking on http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR6...0.html?tp=5684

JVC KD-R600 which changes colors and has red as well. A minor problem is that the Menu/Color and Seek buttons, located left to volume ****, are silverish and shiny. Is there a way I could turn them jet black to fade with rest of audi interior??

Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Administrator

You could get creative masking the headunit and spray them with spray tint. That'd darken them and still allow their illumination to show through.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:02 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Yea. thats right..But I am kindda worried that I may screw it up....I think its best to see if I can take off those tabs to spray paint once I get the stereo....!!!

BTW..I liked your idea about donation with an excellent design on the shirt..Hope enough people help. I am in medical field and know that its really hard going thru ALL.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Just be careful because a lot of the time the buttons are bonded on and can only be broken off. As for the shirts, that was brought up by another AF member when he saw it on AudiZine. We posted up in the off-topic forum with details and a link to the details on the Zine. Worth doing it for sure.

Quick Reply: stereo upgrade