B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Stick feels rough shifting into first and second gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Stick feels rough shifting into first and second gear?

So lets say the car is in neutral. I depress the clutch, and shift into first. Well, getting to first is becoming difficult. it feels as if I am rubbing the other end of the stick against a concrete wall, if that makes sense to anyone. Same goes for second gear. Also, i have some trouble physically getting it into gear, as if a wall is in the way. After a bit of force it gives, but it's becoming worse over time. Does anyone have this problem, or know how to fix it without spending 4000 bucks?

Also, completely unrelated, is there a "b5 a4 pictures" thread? link?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM
2nd Gear

Some possibilities...

-Shifter linkage could be messed up or maybe something is bent
-The synchros on those gears could be going... Do you ever get grinding noises?
-Clutch might not be releasing all the way e.g. throwout bearing or hydraulic system... probably not for just 1-2 though, and should grind also

Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Some possibilities...

-Shifter linkage could be messed up or maybe something is bent
-The synchros on those gears could be going... Do you ever get grinding noises?
-Clutch might not be releasing all the way e.g. throwout bearing or hydraulic system... probably not for just 1-2 though, and should grind also
it sort of feels like im grinding when going into gear, but its not grinding like i missed the gear. the only time i ever hear grinding like that is, well, when i miss a gear.

i dont think its a problem with the clutch. like you said, it wouldnt be just the first 2 gears. and not only that, but the problem doesn't go away when the car is off either.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM
4th Gear

Do you have an aftermarket shifter? Does the shifter feel/look like it is sitting centered when in neutral?

If it is centered the first thing I would do is bleed the slave using a power bleeder. I would then loosen the 10mm bolt holding the linkage do the transmission linkage arm that comes out of the trans housing.

Many years ago I had a problem out of the blue where it was really hard to get into 1st and 2nd, turned out that one of the slider bolts snapped and wouldn't keep the slider still while trying to push toward those gears. Mine was the bolt on the passenger side right near the front axle flange.