B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Strange light on in dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by cas4067
Here is a pic. Hope it helps. Also got another question. Is it safe to add fuel additatives when I feel up. I tried starting my car today and it about a minute straight of cranking before it finally started. I am thinking I got some bad gas or something. I only use 93 premium(usually bp) but got it at sheets this time.
Looks like the brake pad warning. But this isn't the reason your car hard starts. Need some more info for that.

And what are you feeling up?!?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Administrator

^lol. I used to have an old Bronco that did not like Sheetz gas either, I'm told they get their gas from the same people as Country Fair (NW PA equivalent of WaWa) who also have very crappy gas. When I filled up at Sheetz in the Bronco it would knock. Could be your Audi doesn't like it either?

I've added fuel injector cleaner to my gas before with no problems, as well as Stabil fuel stabilizer, so if you wanna throw some octane booster or fuel injector cleaner through it i don't think that would be a problem. On a side note, however, I think you're usually supposed to add that stuff on a (mostly) empty tank.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:06 AM
4th Gear

(O) is for front brake pads or low brake fluid. That symbol is neither.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
^lol. I used to have an old Bronco that did not like Sheetz gas either, I'm told they get their gas from the same people as Country Fair (NW PA equivalent of WaWa) who also have very crappy gas. When I filled up at Sheetz in the Bronco it would knock. Could be your Audi doesn't like it either?

I've added fuel injector cleaner to my gas before with no problems, as well as Stabil fuel stabilizer, so if you wanna throw some octane booster or fuel injector cleaner through it i don't think that would be a problem. On a side note, however, I think you're usually supposed to add that stuff on a (mostly) empty tank.
I am pretty sure its the other way around and should be on a mostly full tank.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by somebody5788
I am pretty sure its the other way around and should be on a mostly full tank.

yea they have directions on them. "add one bottle when you fillup"

i would put the treatment in and then the gas so it mixes well.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:36 AM
4th Gear

could it be that you adjusted the speed warning by accident? It's the button on the left, opposite the trip odometer reset. also adjusts the clock. if you pull it (i think) it set's a speed limit warning and if you did it while at a low speed, it will beep every few minutes if you are over that speed. try pushing it in and holding it for 4 seconds or so.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

I thought it might have been the speed warning symbol at first but it does everytime I start up the car and the light never shuts off. I checked the brake fluid and it's fine. So I am going to go buy some brakes and install them tomorow. Hopefully it takes care of the light. Any suggestions semi metalic or ceramic brakes???

Old 11-14-2008, 05:21 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CRAZYHAWK
(O) is for front brake pads or low brake fluid. That symbol is neither.
It looks like that to me... Like two concentric circles with the outer one divided...

Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

Does the symbol looks like (O) in the center and stays all the time. It also beeps 4 times or sometimes 3 times?
I also have the same problem. Mine is 99 Audi A6 Quattro. I also got the brake pads checked and they are not so worn the guy told me.

Last edited by Ajay4u; 12-16-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
yea they have directions on them. "add one bottle when you fillup"

i would put the treatment in and then the gas so it mixes well.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear the way i typed that. I was tryin to say to wait until you're mostly empty to add the bottle, then fill up to mix it, as apposed to adding it to an already full tank of gas. Thanks for the clarification guys

Quick Reply: Strange light on in dash