B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

super charged 12v vs. 30v swap?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
1st Gear
Default super charged 12v vs. 30v swap?!?

I drive a honda civic.

haha but my FRIEND drives an a4 and he is desperate for more power!

now before i get into the questions i want to be clear that he is not interested in swapping out for a 1.8T. he has made the decision to stick with the v6

Soooooooo
which ever motor he buys his plan is to buy a crate motor, build it in his garage before hand and then swap it in. the problem is I'm going to be doing a lot of the work on this motor along with a buddy of our who works for Audi up here in Seattle. the question is this:

if we're doing a supercharged v6 in his a4, what will the wiring issues be with going from 12v-30v (if there are any) and can SOMEONE PLEASE point me in the right direction to get pricing on importing either one of the motors? also, it would be a big help if someone who knows their super chargers fill me in on which brand makes the best SC for these motors?

thank you very much!
like i said i'm a honda guy so this audi project is new to me

jesse

Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear

he is not interested in swapping out for a 1.8T. he has made the decision to stick with the v6
this decision is going to not only cost more, produce less power per dollar, limit your choices of aftermarket parts substantially, and limit the top power you are able to produce. if you are going to be spending the time and money to build a zero mile 2.8 engine (which if you import from Audi will run you $4000-5000+ alone). you would get much better gains (you can pick anywhere between 200whp and 600whp), less problems and more choices if you got a 1.8 instead.

you can use the search function to find what it will take to go from 12v to 30v.

PES makes just about the only supercharger available for the 2.8, and its only available on the 30v. you do not need to build the motor from scratch as this SC will not gain a crazy amount of power. injectors and software, ect. are all you would need, maybe some upgraded rods at the most. 250-300hp max.

what are his power goals? is the car quattro or fronttrack? what year is the car hes starting with? auto or stick? you have a lot of homework to do.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear

just do a 2.7tt swap

Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by snowman3645
I drive a honda civic.

This is where I stopped reading. The rest is 100% FAIL

Old 04-05-2009, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Yeah pretty much all your gonna here on here is that its gonna cost you to much to try and swap it to a 30v and that its not as easy swapping a honda engine. There are certain options that you have though I know that some have actually done a remote turbo setup on there car which may or may not be what you want and im not sure on this either but there may be a supercharger that you can get for this if they still exist. but pretty much it does not have the capabilities of the 1.8t which is pretty much as tunable as you can get it.

I myself own a 12v 2.8 quattro audi and I know where you are coming from and it sucks to hear it but its totaly true. I am actually looking into remote turbo setup......that is to say if it will not cost more that just doing a swap or buying another audi.

to swap a 2.7t youll need pretty much a wrecked s4 so that you can swap the engine and all the wires and what not. it also would not be as wise to swap a 30v as they are also not as moddable. If you can get your hands on any wrecked audis like 2.7t (unlikely) or a 1.8t that would be your best best as for swap other than that your pretty much not gonna get the HP you want.

Keep checking out my thread on the remote turbo though ill see what I can do on my end to get this motor up there

Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 AM

12v to 30v swap is simple.

First you take the 12v car and sell it.

Take taht money and anything else available for this "swap" and find yourselves a nice 30v. Pay for said 30v car and the swap is done. No wiring issues, no major labor, no dirty fingernails.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by euro_2nr
This is where I stopped reading. The rest is 100% FAIL
ha. . . .

Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
this decision is going to not only cost more, produce less power per dollar, limit your choices of aftermarket parts substantially, and limit the top power you are able to produce. if you are going to be spending the time and money to build a zero mile 2.8 engine (which if you import from Audi will run you $4000-5000+ alone). you would get much better gains (you can pick anywhere between 200whp and 600whp), less problems and more choices if you got a 1.8 instead.

you can use the search function to find what it will take to go from 12v to 30v.

PES makes just about the only supercharger available for the 2.8, and its only available on the 30v. you do not need to build the motor from scratch as this SC will not gain a crazy amount of power. injectors and software, ect. are all you would need, maybe some upgraded rods at the most. 250-300hp max.

what are his power goals? is the car quattro or fronttrack? what year is the car hes starting with? auto or stick? you have a lot of homework to do.
to answer some of these, HIS power goals.....he doesn't really know. i'll be honest, this is my best friend and he knows nothing about cars except that girls likes audi's and they like them fast. REALISTICLY i'd say 250-300 will be plenty. at least for a while. it is a manual tranny 1997 quattro.

the big reason we wanted to see what the options are with the 2.8 is wiring. EVEN THOUGH the cars i work on are much simpler, i am confident i will be able to pull off a straight plug and play swap.... i'll humor the 1.8T suggestion, what are the wiring/ecu differences? whole new wiring harnes and ecu is what i assumed at least. where i lose my H inspired confidence is when i'm splicing wires on my friends german car and hope i don't fry anything...

thank you for your reply, i'll be surfing the forum for the rest of the day

Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 a4 quattro

so where is a good place to get a new crate motor for the 99 a4 quattro 2.8L?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by jwaller350
so where is a good place to get a new crate motor for the 99 a4 quattro 2.8L?
there is no place. i highly doubt a crate motor is available from audi, and if it were it would probably cost more then $10,000. your only real option is finding a used one and rebuilding it. i am not even aware of any aftermarket suppliers of 2.8's (already rebuilt).

Quick Reply: super charged 12v vs. 30v swap?!?