B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Symptoms / effects of a bad CTS ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Symptoms / effects of a bad CTS ????

Wondering what the symptoms would be if you had a faulty CTS ( coolant temp temperature sensor ) under different temperature conditions?, from super cold, mild and super hot??

A) @ - 20* F

B) @ + 40* F

C) @ + 100* F

Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 PM
2nd Gear

I think that would depend on the definition of "faulty".

Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

Faulty

working badly or unreliably because of imperfections.
"a car with faulty brakes"
synonyms: malfunctioning, broken, damaged, defective, not working, out of order; More
antonyms: working

Old 01-21-2015, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear

You'll get a CEL if the sensor is bad. I did at least.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by adam044
You'll get a CEL if the sensor is bad. I did at least.
Were you experiencing actual symptoms (or just the cel light)? If so what were they?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by normal
Faulty

working badly or unreliably because of imperfections.
"a car with faulty brakes"
synonyms: malfunctioning, broken, damaged, defective, not working, out of order; More
antonyms: working
Electronics can become "crippled" w/o being "faulty" - by your smart-*** definition. Meaning: there are certain symptoms affiliated with their respective faults. It's not always just "A" or "B". but **** you anyway. I'll be sure not to give you any more of my time or effort (to freely try and help you).

Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by normal
Were you experiencing actual symptoms (or just the cel light)? If so what were they?
The temp gauge in my car would not make it to the middle where it's supose to. I drove like that for a little since it's just a sensor.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

I got into the Climate Control System 'hidden menu's, YouTube it.
49 & 51 are temperature readings, (I'm guessing here) 49 seems to be the temp of the coolant outside the engine.
51 seems to be the actual engine coolant temp.

49 is close to what reads on the dashboard gauge.
51 increases with 49 untill it gets to about 30 (?)°C and them 51 rises till it gets to 90°C, then 49 rises till it gets to 90°C along with the dashboard temp gauge reading around the same. Then it stays about there.

Now if you stop the car for a while. Both temps drop faster than I think they should. Often, say after 15 - 45 mins, 49 is higher than 51, weird. But with some driving the same scenario happens & 51 hits 90°C first again, then 49 gets up there again.

Side issue. Heater temp. My 8D2 819 633 plastic housing is wrong. I'm 100% sure it's a factory fault.
It's the plastic housing that moves air from the heater/etc directly up to the centre of dashboard outlets, there's another behind it that does the far right/left outlets too.
On two cars I have seen, & I have another 2 cars to check. The housing is shaped wrong at the heater end, it's staple gunned to the other vent housing too.
It's too long and after being put together it pulls the housing away from the heater box, so instead of air coming out the vents, it escapes out inside the bottom of the heater console.
Also, the metal flap behind it, has the crappy urethane foam on it. On one car a small sheet of that foam had fallen ( from where ?) Down into the area of the connection, blocking the above housing inlet....
In time heat and pressure has deformed the closest housing flange to the heater, so it's not flat any more. It's pulled away from the heater box, I could slip a finger into that gap. at the bottom. There's one small bolt/but holding it on, on its left hand side towards the tip of the flange.

The answer? It's seems I could pop the 3 metal staples out with a small screwdriver, undo the nut, and cut horizontally thru the housing at the correct point with a red hot kitchen knife..
remove the bottom part of the housing & clean out any foam, clean the faces,fuse double sided town sticky tape to seal the flange again & drill & selftap 2 small screws at the bottom two corners ( double check the exact correct places, there's stuff behind it) then since the housings too long, it's Top ( where the cut is) of the bottom 1/2 should fit into the bottom of the top 1/2.
Then Silicon seal the gap at the connection to seal it.

​​​Weirdly this is what google images show for that part number.. Obviously this is a earlier Audi. My housing has this number but it the horizontal 3 in the centre dashboard 97- 2001 with the LCD Climate Control. Mines a rectangle shape, while this is sorta oval & there's no proper fine detail of the housings bottom end, it does not show the two pieces.
But, the area I'm talking about is to the right & below the part (Nut) # 18.

Last edited by marteA4; 09-20-2018 at 08:54 AM.