B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Test pipe in.. questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Test pipe in.. questions

So... just got my test pipe in.. took a good while lol due to so many rusted bolts. (will post pix up later)
But now.. i have the problem that its smoking out of the pipe area. I got non foulers and everything, no cel, so thats good. It seems to be smoking out of the bottom connection. I couldnt get a gasket for it from anywhere so i just used the cracked old one but put some silicon gasket on it to help..

I dont know what the bolts should be torqued to so i just did them as tight as i could in the awkward position.
Is it possible i didnt get them tight enough? Or is it just something that happens? I used pb blaster and brake cleaner to clean out the pipe because it was used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont know how bad this is for anything, it just worried me...

Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 AM
2nd Gear

Those bolts are bitches. Had to use a swivel head while the car was on a lift. I'm assuming you're getting smoking from turbo to test pipe connection? If the bolts are tight then you can rack that up to a gasket. You really need to source a new one. I drove mine with a leak and every time I shut it down I would pop the hood and let it cool for a few minutes. You can hear the block's metal pinging and popping from the heat because you essentially have a blow torch under your hood. Plus you're gonna choke yourself/passengers. I didn't torque to specs, I just got that **** TIGHT and man was it a bitch.

Of course, now girlfriend is complaing that "your car smells like ***." I try to explain to her that I spent too much money and time to reverse it like that. "Besides," I tell her, "thats how cars are supposed to smell and if she got her dream Maroon Chevelle it would smell like that." But she tells me that she'd put anti smellers on her exhaust. women.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

I would wait a week or so to see if the smoke thats coming out is just the pb blaster burning away. You could also rev it a little when its cold and see if you can feel an exhaust leak at the test pipe connection to see if you definitely need a new gasket.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

That too, didnt really think about that. All my WD-40 burned off in a day though.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

It was actually coming from the down side of the pipe. It was just the silicon burning off... it was done smoking after like 5 mins of warming up. Pix to come. just need to get them on my photobucket.

As for smell, I havent really noticed anything bad, except when i start up in my garage. But i gotta say i LOVE the sound. Its so deep and badass lol. It is noticeably quicker. after 3000 rpm you can really feel it. I need to get the TB changed out pretty soon here though. That should deff come before i chip it.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by codymack43
It was actually coming from the down side of the pipe. It was just the silicon burning off... it was done smoking after like 5 mins of warming up. Pix to come. just need to get them on my photobucket.

As for smell, I havent really noticed anything bad, except when i start up in my garage. But i gotta say i LOVE the sound. Its so deep and badass lol. It is noticeably quicker. after 3000 rpm you can really feel it. I need to get the TB changed out pretty soon here though. That should deff come before i chip it.
Glad to hear! When I got mine in I took some spirited pulls up and down a hill. I couldn't stop smiling! The smell is only noticable behind the car, in closed spaces and, oddly enough, with the sunroof down. Tell me if you can confirm this, it seems to be sucked in due to the drag, but it seems like a long way from the tail pipes.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

no i actually really only notice it like RIGHT when i start up or when im in my garage.
Or behind the car obv

Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 PM
2nd Gear

Its pretty annoying. Makes me want to get turn down tips!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

lol i dont think thatd help a whole lot