B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is there any way to disable the ABS light? I dont really care about ABS.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Site Moderator

Did you look at the link I posted man? $160, and if you search you kind find places that do it for less.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM

Sorry =(

I clicked far into the process but they do not list the prices. This is usually an indicator that something is very expensive. But hey, both $160 and $250 are acceptable, especially if I can keep driving the car while they work on the modules.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear

You separate the computer from the mechanic part of the abs pump so your brakes will act as they do now.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 PM

There is also http://www.cheapabs.com for about $100. Haven't really heard much about them though. Module Master seems more legit though.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 AM

Yeah...its seems modulemaster is the popular choice. I decided to go with them.

Got out there last night in the rain and popped the ABS module off in about 20 minutes. I am always surprised over and over again by how accessible eveything is on this car and how quickly it can be taken apart. Good times. It was sent off to modulemaster this morning.

Figured out why the brake was making so much noise. Since I worked on it rushed this weekend in the dark, I had ended up putting the rear pad on backwards =O . Flipped it and there is definitely Resistance to the wheel motion but not an insane amount. I sprayed down the pad and rotor with silicone to break its friction and let the pad wear down a bit on its own without heating up too much. I have replacement pads ready to go and the rotor surprisingly did not look bad at all and the caliper is dragging a bit but not too bad. I freed it and I'm going to drive it for a few days and see how much heat the rear wheel is throwing off and see if this rear brake resolves itself. I might go and get a brake retraction tool for the rear caliper and wind it back in and let the caliper start over again on that side.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Alas, it is unplugged....unless I need to further unplug things to make the ECU happy. Is there another connector somewhere? I thought all a4's had abs

I have gotten used to the light show, with accompanying washer fluid light (I had to empty it to get the abs module off) and it will seem almost too peaceful once all this is fixed =)

Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vids1386
You need to unplug ABS module then light will be disable.
No, it wont.

The light is generated by the instrument cluster, which sees there is no signal from the ABS computer. Scan the instrument cluster for codes and you can see what I mean.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 PM

When I plug in the rebuilt unit, will the light go out on its own?

Is the cluster scan the vag-com?

Last edited by CrazyPete; 08-27-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

i know there's a way to stop the warning coming from the ABS module in the engine, but you will have to either take it to the Audi dealer or someone who has worked with Audi before. My car did the same thing, and a 600 dollar ABS module replacement fixed it. But the guy who did it offered to just turn off the warning.

In case you didn't know, the warning means your ABS is going bad. when they both go solid, it doesn't work anymore

Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 PM

My ABS light is solid but the brake light is only blinking. What does that imply? I do not have 2 solid lights.

Quick Reply: Is there any way to disable the ABS light? I dont really care about ABS.