B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing belt came loose

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt came loose

This morning before school, as I started the car and went back upstairs to let it warm up, I heard the rumbling from my engine stop, so I went back down to check it out. My engine wasn't running but everything else was still on, the check engine light was on. I turned off the ignition, and started it back up, and there was a bad squeaky noise from like a belt going crazy in the engine, so I immediately turned it off. With no time left, I found another ride to school.
I posted a video here about loud and obnoxious noises coming from my engine. My dad's workers took a look at it yesterday and said it was the tensioner belt, aka timing belt? A new part for it was being ordered and will be here next week. Meanwhile, they just put the belt back in place.
Now when I came back from school, I popped the hood to see what's wrong. Is it the timing belt? it is the belt at the very front of the engine behind the grill. Anyway, when I came home to check what was wrong, that belt was all loose and not hooked around the rotating tensioners.
How do I put it back in place? How bad can this be? and should I be driving it even though I get the belt back into place?

Last edited by 5L1K; 02-12-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 5L1K
This morning before school, as I started the car and went back upstairs to let it warm up, I heard the rumbling from my engine stop, so I went back down to check it out. My engine wasn't running but everything else was still on, the check engine light was on. I turned off the ignition, and started it back up, and there was a bad squeaky noise from like a belt going crazy in the engine, so I immediately turned it off. With no time left, I found another ride to school.
I posted a video here about loud and obnoxious noises coming from my engine. My dad's workers took a look at it yesterday and said it was the tensioner belt, aka timing belt? A new part for it was being ordered and will be here next week. Meanwhile, they just put the belt back in place.
Now when I came back from school, I popped the hood to see what's wrong. Is it the timing belt? it is the belt at the very front of the engine behind the grill.
No, that's a drive belt. The T-belt is hidden behind the plastic covers attached to the engine.

Originally Posted by 5L1K
should I be driving it even though I get the belt back into place?
No. It drives the alternator and power steering pump. If it snaps or falls off again, you'll be stranded.

When your car stalls out or the ignition is key on/engine off, the check engine light will come on. Replace the belt, tensioner, and any noisy pulleys to avoid getting stuck.