B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

transmission messed up..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM

Thats a beautiful B5, even if it is a tiptronic...
I don't know about you but that was the only regret i had with my Audi...getting a Tiptronic...

Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Ya jc my car kinda does the same sort of thing. It only happens upon quick acceleration correct? like taking off from a stop sign or something? Does it kinda feel like your whole front end is lifting up? mine does this as well although its a manual so idk if its in your transmission. I found this thread a while back and it almost sounds like our problem but at the same time not. Lemme know what you think cuz Im in the same boat as you

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...ght=Loud+clunk

Old 12-08-2008, 06:00 PM
4th Gear

Well this thread is only a few days old.. And yes when I get on it hard it slips really bad... Well story for today is. I was driving to work maybe got 100 feet and I hear clanking then a loud pop. So I turned around and went home. My dad walks out asks what's wrong as he sees me screaming with my hood open. I told him what happened and he took a look and saw a huge oil spill on the driveway... He told me "get your ******* car off my driveway!!" so I did, he wiped it up with a rag and it was a light brown color... then took him for a ride he said it's slipping. I asked about the motor mounts . So we popped the hood and reved the car he said it's got a little bit of movement not much... So after all that I looked under the car and no leak.. I even felt around it was bone dry.. So either that oil was from my sisters car and I managed to park perfectly over it and lose about a quart in a matter of secconds. So my dad said go to work just take it easy.. So I did... Seriously... I got to work and by boss saw me and asked me what's wrong he said I looked sick I told him my tranny was slipping so he went outside to take a look... And we found a leak... I'm leaking transmission fluid.. My car was parked for maybe 15 min and there was a decent size spot on the ground... Then my heart just sank... He told me to get it towed don't drive it.. I called my dad. And he said bring it home.. So luckily my mom works with me so I traded cars with her and she's taking it home for me. I mean I know I want to sell it and I'm always saying how my car is a pos but man once this happened it hit me hard.. I can't even explain how upset i am and pissed off I am... Ok so I have to end it here cause I'm posting from my phone at work.. I'm probly going to bring my car in tomorrow to a tranny shop.. I'll keep updated

Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM
5th Gear

i'll bet it's the rear main seal.
i hate dealing with auto tranny issues. manual is way easier but you do live in the city. good luck man. if you need help holler

Last edited by hiwords; 12-08-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:52 PM
4th Gear

I'm on long island... I think it's from that sudden change of power I had.. Right before I had a boost issue a while back I had a small leak I thought was coolant then it went away. Now that my boost is back in full force(peaking 21) I think that leak came with it too.. I just hope no watter what it is it's not expensive.. I still need to go Christmas shopping for my family and that's a good 300+ right there I really can't afford a transmission or an expensive problem right now... Well this made up my mind once it's fixed it's getting sold or traded for a 5 speed. Hopefully black so I can keep the same look I got going right now

Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 PM
4th Gear

oh and where is the dipstick for the tranny fluid??

Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 PM
5th Gear

doesn't exist. there's a fill plug on your tranny that acts as a dipstick kinda. basically if fluid is flowing out when the car is level, you got too much. if nothing is flowing out, fill it till it flows out lol. ya we know, why the hell didn't audi just add an effing dipstick

Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
doesn't exist. there's a fill plug on your tranny that acts as a dipstick kinda. basically if fluid is flowing out when the car is level, you got too much. if nothing is flowing out, fill it till it flows out lol. ya we know, why the hell didn't audi just add an effing dipstick
yea when my boss came out to look at my car he asked me where the dipstick was.. i had no clue.. i asked somebody5788 he said there isnt one. i also asked my friend with a gti. he said he doesnt know much about autos.. would it be safe to bring my car to a transmission shop and maybe get the filter and fluid changed?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

I dunno man its pretty dangerous to run an automatic tranny out of fluid. If you can fill it back up and you think you can make it to the tranny place w/o losing too much fluid i'd say go for it, but from the sound of it you're losing fluid pretty fast. I'd have it towed =/

Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 AM
4th Gear

its at my house right now... i moved it last night and there was a spot... not that big but a decent size.

Quick Reply: transmission messed up..