B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Trick for removing the radio?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Trick for removing the radio?

I know that there are the special keys you need to use to remove to get the radio out. But, I recently found my old sub and amp and would like to put it in Thursday when I have work off but the keys would not be here until a week from today at the soonest. Does anyone know of a trick to get it out? Maybe a small nail file or something just to pop the pins?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 PM
3rd Gear

Go to Best Buy or another place that installs audio equipment and ask them for a couple. That's why I did and they gave me two. Fo free .99

Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

yes there is a trick to remove it out without the special tool... I bought that tool from ebay and didnt work.

I pried off the trim around the hazard relay then used a screwdriver to pry off the faceplate of the radio. From there you can see where the metal clips are. Once i removed the radio i took out the clips cuz their a pain in the ***.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
yes there is a trick to remove it out without the special tool... I bought that tool from ebay and didnt work.

I pried off the trim around the hazard relay then used a screwdriver to pry off the faceplate of the radio. From there you can see where the metal clips are. Once i removed the radio i took out the clips cuz their a pain in the ***.
This^^^^^

If you don't have a Best Buy or Walmart nearby this is EXACTLY what I did.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear

I made a key out of the metal rod in a hanging file folder, I just dremeled down one end to look like the audi key and it works with some effort. I only have one and it doesn't even have the notch but I just release one side and pull the deck out by the tape slot while releasing the 2nd one.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

glad to know i wasnt the only one who did this trick!

It appears that madcow is talking about the concert radio where there are only 2 clips. I've done that before(before i did my double din swap), crafting my own tool and took me 30 mins fudging around to unclip one side and pulling the radio out. Although, it'll be more difficult with the symphony radio requiring 4 clips to be removed simultaneously.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

bad news and good news. I tried to pry the front plate off, but my dumb *** put the screwdriver in there too far and ended up busting the radio. Good news is ecs has a new one on sale for $40, sucks that I broke it but the 40 is way better than the 350

Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

You sure its busted? When I did this trick I had the intentions of breaking the radio (i thought it was broken anyway and knew that ECS sells em for $40). When the cover gave away, i thought it broke for sure, but realized it was just clipped in. Once I replaced the blown fuse inin the back of it, i prayed hoping that when i snap the cover back on, it will turn on. It did.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

The radio still works and plays, but non of the functions on the front work. I cannot turn the radio off, change the station or turn the volume up or down. Also, I am pretty sure I can see where it snapped the computer chip that relays the information to the rest of the radio. But, the CD changer has been broken on it since I bought the car so I guess I can justify getting the new one a little more.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

Bet a trip to best buy sounds like it would have been a good idea now, eh?
I've learned the hard way not to use proper tools.. Sometimes it works, but it has been too costly the times it hasn't.

Always use the right tools. Shortcuts usually aren't. Just my bit of experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trick for removing the radio?