B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

trunk lock stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM
1st Gear
Default trunk lock stuck

hi all. hate for my first post to be a problem, but it happens.

we just bought my girlfriend a 1999 a4 2.8 quattro.

it has a few issues. needs back brakes. transmission hesitates to shift on uphill, low momentum downshifts. there's a popping noise on occasion coming from the front. actually sounds like it's right under the center console.

and last, the reason i made this thread, the trunk lock doesn't work. we can't get a key all the way in the cylinder, and the button won't budge. i can crawl in the trunk and get it out. i've already scoped the felt covered screws, etc that need to come out first.

my real question is, how hard is it going to be to get a replacement lock cylinder keyed the same? i'd like ot not have a seprate key just for the trunk.

i've checked around on the web, and it seems i can have a new lock cylinder for about 150. seems pretty steep to me.

any suggestions on how i should handle this?

also, any suggestions on the tranny issue and popping noise is welcome and appreciated. i already have tranny fluid and filter on order, hoping that cures the problem

Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM
2nd Gear

I wish i can help you on your trunk issue but i have no experience with the lock mechism.

I do have a question about your a4,why would you buy a car that may have a issue with the transmision? I mean,if a car has a hint of a tranny issue,one would normally stay far away from it as it is costly to replace/repair. i'm not being mean or judgmental,just want you to understand what you may have gotten yourself into and maybe its not too late to return it and get your money back.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear

Have you tried spraying some sort of lube into the lock? I've had cars with sticky locks that I fixed just by spraying some wd-40 into them.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
I wish i can help you on your trunk issue but i have no experience with the lock mechism.

I do have a question about your a4,why would you buy a car that may have a issue with the transmision? I mean,if a car has a hint of a tranny issue,one would normally stay far away from it as it is costly to replace/repair. i'm not being mean or judgmental,just want you to understand what you may have gotten yourself into and maybe its not too late to return it and get your money back.
i know exactly what i'm getting myself in to. i told my girlfriend my concerns and let her make the decision. it was mostly her money, so it was up to her. she was more worried about "i like it, it's pretty."

so, i did some research and it sounds like my problem is common for old tranny fluid. i'm going to give it a shot, and if it doesn't cure the problem, oh well. she'll have ot save for another car

so, not to be rude, but i'm not here to be criticized. jsut here for help

Old 03-27-2011, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Have you tried spraying some sort of lube into the lock? I've had cars with sticky locks that I fixed just by spraying some wd-40 into them.
i tried last night. actually used much better grade lubricant called aero-kroil. still can't get the key all the way in the cylinder

Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Need help with the trany call the trany experts level10 973-827-1000

Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by LEVEL10TRANSMISSION
Need help with the trany call the trany experts level10 973-827-1000
wow,talk about whoreing audiforums with spam! are you guys ok with this advertisement?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

it says he's a site sponsor, do we have any say in it?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

hey, im having the same exact problem with my trunk lock cylinder. the key only goes in about halfway.

any input on this???

i called audi and they can get me a new cylinder but with a different key for 57$

Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

i accidentally pushed the trunk lock shut manually and now i cannot open it to shut the trunk. what do i do?

Quick Reply: trunk lock stuck