B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Turn signal relay

Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Turn signal relay

Where is the turn signal relay located? not the hazard relay- I changed that one hazards work but not the turn signal, so I bought the relay for the turn signal- they said at autozone that is underneath the steering wheel- but I do not find an opening there, or an access.... any diagrams out there or at least some instructions?

Thanks

Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 PM

I had problems with my turn signals awhile ago and autozone gave me the little turn signal relay but I could not find where it went and I don't even know if there even was one that wasn't a part of the hazard flasher. The hazard flasher worked for me in getting my turn signals to work. Maybe you got a bogus hazard flasher?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:00 PM
5th Gear

the turn signal relay is built into the hazard relay. you have to get the whole hazard/turn signal relay assembly. just buy one from somebody parting out a car for like 20 bux

Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Turn Signal Relay

Actually there's got to be a different relay than the hazard relay, I replaced that one in the hazard works great! but not the turn signals- got it brand new.
Why would Autozone and Napa stock these items if Audi does not have one other than the Hazard light one.....?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
1st Gear
Default turn signal relay

trying to locate the turn signal relay. It is seperate from the hazard relay. I have the part but can't get to it's location. I can here it blink once when I turn the signal lever to right or left. it's in the location of the hazard, but maybe somewhere behind it. I have removed the radio and the housing that holds it but can't get it out. There is a top piece that is part of the radio housing unit but this unit will not come out to access the area above. Any help.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

You have to remove the driver knee panel. (3 bolts under the covers in the front) and i think like 1 or 2 screws at the bottom and pull it out(disconnect check engine connector and footwell lamp if equiped with). You should see the 2-3 relay centers under there.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to be a super tard, but can some post what the part number or even maybe a picture of what the relay looks like? My turn signals also stopped today (blink once then stop) and the one "blink" sound I'm getting is coming from right behind or slightly above the radio. Just want to make sure I order the right part!

Thanks in advance, JR

Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

Hi words is right, its built until the hazard relay... For whoever said their signals still dont work after replacing that its somethin else, blinker switch maybe.. You can feel it click when you turn the signal on, and if you think its something behind there theres nothing... But if your curious.. you have to remove the radio first with the removal keys and the climate control unit which will expose some screws and it will allow to look behind there if you really wanna.....

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-55/replacing-turn-signal-relay-dudley-doright-17621/

Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
3rd Gear

^^Thats the DIY I followed as well. Took all of 10 minutes

Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM

There are two different parts to the turn signal system to get it to work correctly. One is the turn signal relay that is built into the hazard relay. I controls the actual blinking of the turn signals. The clicking you hear is the same unit that makes the hazards click/blink. The second is the turn signal switch that is connected into the turn signal stalk and headlight stalk, and in the steering column. The way of noting the difference is if the turn signals turn on and blink once of twice and just stop, pay attention and see if it clicks when you return the stalk back to center. If it clicks once more, it is most likely to be the turn signal relay w/ the hazard control. If the turn signals react erratically, turning on and off making several clicks and blinking at unequal intervals, it is most likely the turn signal switch in the steering column. As noted above, the turn signal relay is relatively easy to replace. The switch is more difficult as it involves removing the steering wheel and steering column covers.
Hope this helps, as I am going through the same issue and replaced the signal relay and my turn signals work like a champ!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn signal relay