B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Unique Sunroof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Default Unique Sunroof Problem

I have a sunroof problem (1999 A4 2.8 quattro) which I haven't found described in these forums. I am very curious to hear if anyone has had a similar problem--or if anyone has a possible solution.

It started when the sunroof wouldn't close completely. I decided to help it to close (by pushing it) without success. I then diasassembled the sunroof and found that the plastic guides were breaking apart and likely causing the inability to close completely. Unfortunately, I must have forced one of the cables to slip because now the two guides are not in the same position on their respective rails. In other words, one is ahead of the other. They both move forward and backward when the sunroof is detached and I adjust the ****, but they are not positioned so that I can replace the sunroof. If I were to do so, one side of the sunroof would not move in synchrony with the other.

Could one of the cables have slipped in the motor? Could one of the guides have slipped on the cable? Can either of these be fixed?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by shm02
I have a sunroof problem (1999 A4 2.8 quattro) which I haven't found described in these forums. I am very curious to hear if anyone has had a similar problem--or if anyone has a possible solution.

It started when the sunroof wouldn't close completely. I decided to help it to close (by pushing it) without success. I then diasassembled the sunroof and found that the plastic guides were breaking apart and likely causing the inability to close completely. Unfortunately, I must have forced one of the cables to slip because now the two guides are not in the same position on their respective rails. In other words, one is ahead of the other. They both move forward and backward when the sunroof is detached and I adjust the ****, but they are not positioned so that I can replace the sunroof. If I were to do so, one side of the sunroof would not move in synchrony with the other.

Could one of the cables have slipped in the motor? Could one of the guides have slipped on the cable? Can either of these be fixed?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
My problem on the 1998 Audi A4 (exactly the same problem I had with the with my 1994 Audi 100, same index switch) seems different. Putting the index switch (position selector on the roof panel) into slightly different position than you really want CAN get it to the desired (for example: closed) position. If often requires to select a position BEYOND the actual one.

From the Audi 100 I remember that knocking against the switch also sometime moved it to the position.

So in my case, I would clearly point at the index selector switch.

Are there any positioning sensor in the rails to tell the system what position the sunroof is in? Or is the positioning done by poti with position read out on the motor that moves the roof?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:03 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same problem as you, shm02. Guides are breaking. I don't have a fix, but was thinking of using one of my spare sunroofs to reconstruct the guide or fully remove it. The little plastic pieces seem really cheap and almost pointless.

I think my first sunroof was out of sync too, but I powered it on and while operating the switch was able to forcefully get them lined up. I was quoted ~$1500 for a full replacement as the sunroof is sold only in a complete assembly.

EDIT: Found this off of AW

Replacement DIY PDF: http://davidt7.home.comcast.net/~dav...di_sunroof.pdf

I can't find replacement guides anywhere

Last edited by Skythe; 06-19-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear

Old thread but this should be helpful for those interested

Replacement Guides for the inside sliding cover, NOT the window:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...r/Body/ES3225/

Last edited by Skythe; 05-02-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear

My sunroof opens when it wants....A.I.??/ hahahaha...It randomly decides to open during the night, or during the day whenever it feels like it, and I'm serious....sometimes to close it, I have to move the switch open close open close a few times for it to completely close. Then I walk out 4 hours later and it's open again :-) sux in the winter...hahahahha

Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 PM
2nd Gear

skythe, YOU ROCK!!!!!! Thanks.