B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

V8 in a B5

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: V8 in a B5

I'm in the process of installing an Audi S8 engine, 4.2L V8 (AHC) into my B5 A4 quattro.

Engine is sitting here, still waiting on a flywheel, as it was manual only in the UK.

It WILL fit the B5 engine bay.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Siena

I'm in the process of installing an Audi S8 engine, 4.2L V8 (AHC) into my B5 A4 quattro.

Engine is sitting here, still waiting on a flywheel, as it was manual only in the UK.

TTIUWOP

Old 03-28-2008, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: feerocknok

TTIUWOP
What does that mean?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 AM

+1 for an LS1 in a b5

Old 03-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm make believe

Well is has been done before, but it is more than a basic mech or shop are willing to take on.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

I personally dont have any problem with you throwing in a LS1 in a A4 as i dont about a RX7 with a V8. I will admit that i was pissed to see one in an Evo. I personally dont care for V8 or NA power personally (you can easily make 300-400bhp on a 1.8t with minimum lag and stock engine all while getting far better gas milage) but agree with your points since the LS1 is a strong motor.

My only concern is in how much fab would would be involved in making it fit with tranny.
I guess when we modify our cars, fuel economy is the last thing we consider, else, we'd all be running stock motors, or even aB5 1.6.

As for the poster wanting to fit an LS1 engine to his car, why not? For starters, it's a tough engine, available quite cheaply, will take a LOT of abuse.

More importantly, it's his car, and his fuel bills, so what's the beef? Different folk, different strokes.

300 - 400PS from a 1.8T is possible, yes, but not cheaply. I build engines for a living, and I know if you build a 1.8L 4 cylinder with that kind of output on the cheap, you're asking for trouble. A V8 rated at 300PS will be a heck more reliable than a small-capacity I4 tuned to deliver the same.A 300PSV8 will also deliver a big slab of torque, that the smaller-capacity I4 tuned to the same, or 320PS is unlikely to match.

And best of all, regardless of what exhaust you fit to an I4, it'll never have the deep-chested rumble only a V8 would produce, with even a stock exhaust.

I'm all for fitting any engine to a B5, regardless of it's origin, as long as it does what the owner want's it to do, it's all good. It's different, and will be a pretty unique B5. I'm fitting an S8 4.2L V8 to my car. Yes, there WILL be fabrication to be done. But, who says being unique doesn't come at a price?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

Well is has been done before, but it is more than a basic mech or shop are willing to take on.
I understand you buddy, but I'm not a "basic mechanic". I know my onions, and have never shied away from unusual requests from clients.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm make believe

You are new, so i will TRY to be nice. The OP ggooding asked about everything under the sun and people got sick of him trying to do things to his car instead of just getting the S4 he was trying to make his V6 A4. We got sick of repeating ourselves and just got sick of him. Now for what you said....

I personally dont have any problem with you throwing in a LS1 in a A4 as i dont about a RX7 with a V8. I will admit that i was pissed to see one in an Evo. I personally dont care for V8 or NA power personally (you can easily make 300-400bhp on a 1.8t with minimum lag and stock engine all while getting far better gas milage) but agree with your points since the LS1 is a strong motor.

My only concern is in how much fab would would be involved in making it fit with tranny.
I guess when we modify our cars, fuel economy is the last thing we consider, else, we'd all be running stock motors, or even aB5 1.6. A 1.8t, reguardless of power level, will STILL be a 1.8t on the highway and get over 30mpg, cant do that with a V8 unless you have a Chrysler/Dodge engine that shuts down 4 cyl. So yes, i can have a 500whp 1.8t and still get far better mpg than your stock 4.2 V8 S8 engine.

As for the poster wanting to fit an LS1 engine to his car, why not? For starters, it's a tough engine, available quite cheaply, will take a LOT of abuse. See above.

More importantly, it's his car, and his fuel bills, so what's the beef? Different folk, different strokes. See above

300 - 400PS from a 1.8T is possible, yes, but not cheaply. I build engines for a living, and I know if you build a 1.8L 4 cylinder with that kind of output on the cheap, you're asking for trouble. A V8 rated at 300PS will be a heck more reliable than a small-capacity I4 tuned to deliver the same.A 300PSV8 will also deliver a big slab of torque, that the smaller-capacity I4 tuned to the same, or 320PS is unlikely to match. You REALLY shouldnt talk about an engine you obviously have no knowledge about. The 1.8t with a gt28rs will easily make 350-375bhp on a stock motor and run day in a day out just fine. If you want more power than that, all you need to replace is the rods and you are good for well over 700bhp. So please, know what you are talking about before posting such comments.

And best of all, regardless of what exhaust you fit to an I4, it'll never have the deep-chested rumble only a V8 would produce, with even a stock exhaust. Thats personal preferance. I think a V8 sounds like a POS, but thats just me. A 1.8T sounds amazing with a borla or magnaflow muffler and match that with a high pitched turbo spooling to well over 20psi, that pure sex to me.

I'm all for fitting any engine to a B5, regardless of it's origin, as long as it does what the owner want's it to do, it's all good. It's different, and will be a pretty unique B5. I'm fitting an S8 4.2L V8 to my car. Yes, there WILL be fabrication to be done. But, who says being unique doesn't come at a price? Thats all nice, but not everyone is you.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm make believe

I understand you buddy, but I'm not a "basic mechanic". I know my onions, and have never shied away from unusual requests from clients.
Did i say you were? I dont know you. I was speeking for the 100's of others that all talked the same stuff as you that are now no where to be seen since they found out that the massive pile of money wasnt worth the cost when they could just go out and buy a S4 2.7T for abotu $15 and make 400awhp without much effort.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Cincy, relax. We're comparing ideas, nothing more. Not saying you don't know what you're talking about, just that when it comes to folk modifying their motors, there's different criteria.

Yes, you can replace the rods / turbos, but it's not a cheap exercise. And a 1.8T running 700PS will be on the edge, regardless of the internals. The block just isn't designed for that kind of output. There are often more than just rods, pistons etc that will place a ceiling on maximum safe power, the block itself, and that can't be replaced, that's the point I'm making here.

The point is, $ for $, the same modifications applied to a small capacity I4, and a large capacity V8 will produce very different results.

Still, kudos to 1.8T's with a 700PS output, will be a pretty quick car for a while, no doubt about that, with it's lighter weight...