B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

vag-com airbag code help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear
Default vag-com airbag code help

can someone point me in the right direction of where to look or what bag I am suppose to be looking at. here is what vag-com gave me.

Friday, 07 March 2008, 19:39:43

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 8D0 959 655 G

Component and/or Version: Airbag Front+Kopf 0002

Software Coding: 00304

Work Shop Code: WSC 06325

1 Fault Found:

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N199)

32-00 - Resistance too High

Old 03-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Administrator
Default RE: vag-com airbag code help

Sounds like it could be the connector under the seat. They're known to get pulled slightly out when the seat is moved to the extremes, and it's just enough to trip a light. Do a search for "airbag light connector" or something along that line. You should find a post or two by me with a picture showing where the connector is. Push it in tight, and zip-tie it to hold it, then use Vag to turn the light off and see if it comes back. If not, problem solved.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear

yeah found that article about 10 minutes ago. I think I'm going to go unplug that and see if I get any new codes just to double check that but right now we're having a hell of a winter storm so I'm gonna wait until tomorrow.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Administrator

We've been getting that same storm (although it's finally not doing anything out there), so I know what you mean. I'm in Binghamton, a little more than an hour southwest of you, and it sucks here too. I was going to do a bunch of projects on my car today but the weather was so damp and crappy that I spent the time doing some cleaning and rearranging in the garage instead. Car gets work tomorrow.

Good plan on unplugging and trying to get additional codes. My bet though is that if you resecure that connector, clear the codes, and retry it, they'll be gone. When it comes to the driver's side airbag, that connector is the root of all evil. When you zip-tie it though, be very careful that you don't pinch and damage any of the wires on the back of the connector - take your time to route the zip-tie so that it doesn't squeeze them and damage them when you tighten it. It worked on my car - hope it does for yours too.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:43 PM
2nd Gear

thank you Jeremy for the help all fixed now. wish all my Audi repairs were this cheap and easy.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Great! Glad to hear it. Don't be surprised if it comes back sometime - if you inadvertently put the seat too far back, you may stretch the zip-tie and loosen the connector again. It's happened to me as well. Airbag lights are one of those things that most of us with a B5 end up just living with Glad you got it though - and you may be surprised, there are a decent number of fixes on these cars that have been similarly easy (at least in what failed on my car). Hope you have the same luck I have

Old 08-18-2009, 08:11 PM

To all Audi-genuises out there- i have the same problem with the Air bag light being ON after a recent trip to a local mechanic for state (TX) inspection...he pushed the driver's seat way back and the next day i see the airbag light ON... and am a little paranoid to pull the YELLOW socket out... I am just scared if doin that would engage the airbag somehow? any comments?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

I had the same issue, I didn't even check the igniter under my driver's seat. I just cleared it and it never came back on.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Administrator

If you ziptie it, don't unplug it - just wrap it with the ziptie and pull it snug, then turn off the light. No reason to unplug it.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 PM
5th Gear

also fat people have a large "impact" on it too ; ). don't plop down on your seat after you ziptie it

Quick Reply: vag-com airbag code help