B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a VERY noisy and expensive summer (timing belt or exhaust and suspension issues)...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear
Default a VERY noisy and expensive summer (timing belt or exhaust and suspension issues)...

Hey all...I appreciate the opinions, expertise and advice that I've acquired from AF overtime and so I am seeking some insight regarding my cars poor POOR state. There are 2 main symptoms.
1>There is a very loud rattling, muffling sound coming from the engine bay at idle and when driving at at all times (its a rattle at idle and a loud, deep, bassy undertone when driving/accelerating- sounds like an old diesel car if that makes any sense). I am ~90% sure I have a worn timing belt which needs to be replaced (This is my estimate based on my familiarity with the sound, which I liken to the sound of failing timing belts I've heard on other cars in the past), but it has also been suggested that I may have an exhaust leak. I know that I will need to take it in to get an accurate diagnosis but I am hoping I could get some opinions based on some sound clips of the noise. [I would like to know in advance b/c if it is an exhaust issue I want to order some parts from magnaflow before having the service done w/o getting unnecessarily charged for the diagnostic- b/c I won't be leaving it for service right away]. The clip was taken at idle so its the rattling sound....there is also some less-generous footage of the exhaust line.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQly0laBYsThere are not any other symptoms accept it seems to drive and shift a little rougher and makes a weird choking sound after a hard rev at idle...tho, I'm almost certain I am suffering in performance and mileage.
2> I've noticed a very squeaky and annoying noise coming from my suspension. You can hear it in the cabin coming from the front, whenever driving at lower speeds and if the car bounces at all. It is VERY noticeable! Is this an indication that I may need to replace it?Thankx in advance for any assistance.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: a VERY noisy and expensive summer (timing belt or exhaust and suspension issues)...

Put your car on some wheel ramps or axle stands ( not your tire jack), turn the car on and find where the noise is coming from. If it is exhaust, it is most likely the flex pipe. I can't access the clip as youtube is blocked by my company IT.

How many miles on your car? If you are above 80K it is time for a new timing belt and timing belt parts anyway. The A4 engine is an interference engine and if the timing belt goes, you will need a 2500 dollar valve replacement. The early Audi's had a poorly designed timing belt tensioner, and eventhough the belt is fine, the tensioner craps out.

Squeeking from the front end is likely the control arm bushings.

None of this will give you bad mileage.

For the bad mileage, take your car to autozone and have them pull the codes and post them back here (the actual code numbers)

BTW, letting us know the year of your car, mileage and engine wouldn't hurt.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: a VERY noisy and expensive summer (timing belt or exhaust and suspension issues)...

thanks for the help. There are 130 km on my car so I know that I have to do the timing belt nowish anyways. My car model info is in my signature, but in case it doesn't show for some reason I have a 98.5 2.8 QM.
I kinda assumed that these stresses on the engine would have retarded the mileage but haven't really noticed any changes...I haven't paid mucht attention to that.
As far as the suspension goes, I think might help to add that it seems extra loose or rather that the car wobbles a lot more than I remember it used to....
I would put it on some jacks but I would have to buy them which would cost me more than the diagnostic so I might as well get a Diagnostic for a quick diagnosis.
at idle the noise is rattle/muffle coming from the engine bay but when driving there is another distorted sound which I attribute to the rear of the car...perhaps the 2 are seperate and I need service on both ends. All in all, thanks anyways.