B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Wanting to do headlight conversion (2piece to 1piece)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Wanting to do headlight conversion (2piece to 1piece)

Are these a good candidate for the conversion or is a broken tab a big deal? I've never taken my headlights out nor messed with them so I don't know how big of a deal a broken tab on these headlights are.

I like that these are off of an S4 versus the non xenon projectors...

No go because of broken tab? THANK YOU!

EDIT** I have a 98.5 A4 with two piece headlights, want to convert to 1 piece because they look way better, and I can get HID's legally.

I know I have to trim my fender which is no big deal to me, the wiring is what concerns me

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/3243718406.html

Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Administrator

That's a pretty good price for those lights, even without bulbs and ballasts. You can get headlight tab repair kits here, which I recommend you do. Depending on which tab is broken, they may be kinda wobbly. Here's the DIY I did when I converted my old A4 to 1-piece headlights.

2-Piece to 1-Piece Headlight Conversion - AudiFreaks

EDIT: Although now that I'm thinking about it, by the time you buy bulbs, ballasts, the repair kit, and the headlights, you already paid for a pair of brand new DEPO's. Just a thought..

Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
That's a pretty good price for those lights, even without bulbs and ballasts. You can get headlight tab repair kits here, which I recommend you do. Depending on which tab is broken, they may be kinda wobbly. Here's the DIY I did when I converted my old A4 to 1-piece headlights.

2-Piece to 1-Piece Headlight Conversion - AudiFreaks

EDIT: Although now that I'm thinking about it, by the time you buy bulbs, ballasts, the repair kit, and the headlights, you already paid for a pair of brand new DEPO's. Just a thought..
Thanks man, couple comments/questions though...

I get the raptor HID kits from ddm tuning, well now they even have slim ballast kits for $35, I've had good luck with them in the past,

So if I offered this guy $125 for the lights, $65 for repair kit, $35 for HID kit, I am at just over $200 for the whole thing, minus new wiring which I still am not exactly sure what new wiring I need to convert to the newer lights...?

Anyways, are DEPO's better than OEM lights like these? Just curious if they were both the same exact price, which headlights would you prefer? And do DEPO's come with absolutely everything needed to do this conversion? or everything minus bulbs and ballasts?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Digressing for a minute here, apologies to the OP: Chris, I finally copied that link and posted it up as a new thread in the DIY subforum. Might make it easier in the future for you to refer others to that part of AF rather than having to dig up the link to Freaks.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DewAudiA4
Thanks man, couple comments/questions though...

I get the raptor HID kits from ddm tuning, well now they even have slim ballast kits for $35, I've had good luck with them in the past,

So if I offered this guy $125 for the lights, $65 for repair kit, $35 for HID kit, I am at just over $200 for the whole thing, minus new wiring which I still am not exactly sure what new wiring I need to convert to the newer lights...?

Anyways, are DEPO's better than OEM lights like these? Just curious if they were both the same exact price, which headlights would you prefer? And do DEPO's come with absolutely everything needed to do this conversion? or everything minus bulbs and ballasts?
Depo lights aren't better than OEM, but in many cases people buy Depo because the quality is pretty good and they can get NEW headlights for $200ish.
The headlights you're looking at are OEM Valeo... Valeo is known to be very high quality. Also those are OEM xenon headlights (using D2S bulbs), whereas the Depo 1-piece headlights use H7 bulbs.

Make sure to check out the clarity of the lenses. If they're not super clear you can probably knock the price down a bit since you'd have to buy a headlight polishing kit.

And for what it's worth, you can get the headlight tab repair kit MUCH CHEAPER:
Audi Parts - genuinevwaudiparts.com

To wire in the headlights, it would be convenient to have these:
Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Lighting > Headlights > ES#86 A4 European Headlight Wiring Harness - A4UROWIRINGKIT-A
And wire these to your existing headlight wiring.
OR you can do what CCA4 did in his DIY that he posted.

Depo lights would also require rewiring using either the above adapters or like CCA4 did in his DIY, as well as bulbs/ballasts.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Depo lights aren't better than OEM, but in many cases people buy Depo because the quality is pretty good and they can get NEW headlights for $200ish.
The headlights you're looking at are OEM Valeo... Valeo is known to be very high quality. Also those are OEM xenon headlights (using D2S bulbs), whereas the Depo 1-piece headlights use H7 bulbs.

Make sure to check out the clarity of the lenses. If they're not super clear you can probably knock the price down a bit since you'd have to buy a headlight polishing kit.

And for what it's worth, you can get the headlight tab repair kit MUCH CHEAPER:

To wire in the headlights, it would be convenient to have these:
Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Lighting > Headlights > ES#86 A4 European Headlight Wiring Harness - A4UROWIRINGKIT-A
And wire these to your existing headlight wiring.
OR you can do what CCA4 did in his DIY that he posted.

Depo lights would also require rewiring using either the above adapters or like CCA4 did in his DIY, as well as bulbs/ballasts.
thanks a lot guys, offered him $110, ill see what happens, anything i should def look out for when looking at them in person? can the tab be unrepairable or something, idk

Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Digressing for a minute here, apologies to the OP: Chris, I finally copied that link and posted it up as a new thread in the DIY subforum. Might make it easier in the future for you to refer others to that part of AF rather than having to dig up the link to Freaks.
Thanks man!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, so even with a broken tab is $150 a good deal? They look to be in great shape besides the broken tab, and it looks like I can get an HID kit from ddmtuning with D2S bulbs for around $50-$60 depending on 35w or 55w...

So $150 for the lights, $40-60 for the tab repair kit and $50 for the hid kit, looks to be about $250 total for some nice OEM lights, seems okay to me?

Just trying to get your opinions because honestly they're better than mine, lol

On another note, is $85 a good price for this rs4 grille? (s4, rs4, whatever it is)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/3262737678.html

Last edited by DewAudiA4; 09-10-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

sorry to bump, should i grab them?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DewAudiA4

On another note, is $85 a good price for this rs4 grille? (s4, rs4, whatever it is)

b5 rs4/s4/a4 grill grille
I would say no unless it's a genuine RS4 grille. Judging by the title, I'd say it's an eBay replica. A new replica goes for $60.

A new genuine RS4 grille goes for $250 and even if this one in the link were used, they'd probably use the fact it's an original as a key selling point and raise the price.

IIRC the difference between the replica and the original is how thick that mesh like area is

Quick Reply: Wanting to do headlight conversion (2piece to 1piece)