B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Whale noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

Name:  Picture443.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  83.0 KB

These kind of whales?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 AM

i guess it was hunting season because the whale noises went away... i hope they never come back, im going to try to drain the fluid and add some more CHF.... But dont want to waste it 30$ for steering fluid.. its a killer

Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 AM
4th Gear

well, you can either spend 30 bucks now, or 400+ when the pump ***** out

your choice

Old 05-11-2009, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Lazer Viking
well, you can either spend 30 bucks now, or 400+ when the pump ***** out

your choice
Word to that nucka!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem... Power steering began making little noise, a mech who worked on something else in my car decided to put regular $4 PS fluid. I had no idea until a few weeks later when the pump began whining VERY loudly... I came here, read around, flushed the system but it was too late. Pump kicked the bucket last week, now I got no power steering and no car until next week when I get the parts and put them in...

Sure to say, last time I take my car to any mechanic and my personal advice to you is to spend the $30 now instead of $200+ for a new pump and a few sleepless nights of concern for the safety your steering rack (as that can also be affected by wrong fluid.. And its a few thousand to replace)

Cheers

Old 05-14-2009, 08:36 AM

I didnt want to make it seem that im too cheap to buy CHF... i already have it. How would i be able to drain the steering fluid to replace it..??

Old 05-14-2009, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ebattilana100
I didnt want to make it seem that im too cheap to buy CHF... i already have it. How would i be able to drain the steering fluid to replace it..??
Name:  18Engine.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  60.3 KB

All this is done with the car off (of course it needs to be in accessories mode, otherwise you won't be able to turn the wheel).

- Jack up both front wheels of the car.
- Open the cap of the PS reservoir.
- Unhook the bottom-most (if I remember correctly) hose coming out of the power steering pump (the pump is located at the front of the engine block, low, driver's side -see pic-). Have a pan handy as fluid will come out as soon as you unplug the hose.
- Once fluid stops coming out, bleed the system: get behind the wheel and start turning the wheels max left, max right (but be gentle, don't slam it). As you do this, fluid will be circulated and will continue to pour out of the hose you unhooked. Do this about 20-30 times each side or more if fluid still comes out.
- Re-hook the hose (Since you're down there, I would recommend replacing the stock "clip" fastener rings for the screw-in ones)
- Fill up the reservoir with Pentosin, don't put the cap on.
- Bleed the system again, some 50 times each side but pause every now and then to keep an eye on the reservoir level because as the fluid circulates through the system you'd need to add more.
- Once the system is full, bleed it a bit more just for grace.
- Replace the cap on the reservoir.
- Turn on the car -If there's no noise anymore then congratulations! If you have some whinning then continue to bleed the system (car off, PS Res. cap off).

I read somewhere it might take a while of driving before air is completely worked out of the system and the noise goes entirely away after a PS flush.

Good luck man.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM

same way as bleeding clutches... i should buy another can of CHF then, just in case i dont have enough to do the bleed...

Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 AM

the noises came back.... Will it be a problem if i use CHF 7.1 instead of 11S

Old 05-23-2009, 01:28 PM
4th Gear

Not absolutley positive, but isnt one mineral and the other synthetic?

Quick Reply: Whale noises