B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What to look for in a 98 A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Default What to look for in a 98 A4 Quattro

I'm new to this forum, but very familiar with cars in general and do 90% of all my own work (the only things I don't do are transmission rebuilds and differential overhauls). I understand that every car (particularly those that are 10 years +) need occasional work. I con't get worried about things like brakes, alternators, etc that fail from time to time (or just wear out). Tie rods, etc...I mean, they all wear out over time. I'm not concerned with how long the engine will last. Most modern engines can easily see over 200k miles (my explorer is up to 322k). Engine repairs typically are a miniscule part of car ownership costs these days.

My concern about Audi's is the AWD portion of the car. How do the CV joints and associated AWD components hold up in the long run? I had a 98 Volvo AWD and it's set up was nothing but headaches. I like the A4 wagons and found one that fits into my budget to replace my aging 91 explorer as a daily driver (I'm cheap when it comes to buy cars).

Is there any good way to test the Audi AWD? Any particular sounds to listen for?

I've read all the newbie guides and they were quite helpful.

The car I'm looking at is an 1998 A4 2.8L V-6 Wagon. I'm not looking to making anything super fast. I need decent reliable transportation with a little pep and nice handling.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Slade

Old 10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Site Moderator

Please post in the correct sub-forum for the model of your A4 - you'll get more replies this way...

[moving thread]

With regards to your question, the quattro system on the 98 is tough, all mechanical (no electronics), and is not commonly prone to issues. The control arms routinely go bad/squeak/clunk. Wheel bearings tend to go as well. CV joints are no worse than other cars from my experience. (I have owned a 98 A4).

The 2.8 is a reliable engine (more so than the 1.8) so you're good there.

Last edited by brrman; 10-15-2009 at 03:10 PM.