B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

When in doubt, push it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
2nd Gear
Default When in doubt, push it!

So quite off topic, but I just had to share with you guys cuz I thought you'd get a pretty good kick out of this story of the night I had last night.

My good friend recently acquired a 1985 BMW 318i for pennies on the dollar, and decided to try and get it running. Body wise, its actually in really good shape, just runs like $hit. It sorta picks and chooses when it wants to run; some days it'll start and idle, other days it'll start and die immediately, and other days it just wont turn over at all.

So last night, we decided to experiment with unplugging the ICV and turning the key on and letting all of the electronics get up to speed before starting it and seeing if that for some reason would convince it to start; lo and behold it did. Fired right up, idled, and so we decided to putter down to the gas station right around the corner for a couple gallons of gas. Made it there fine, got to the pump, got the gas and yup, you guessed it, wouldn't start back up. Tried everything: letting it sit, plugging the ICV back in, unplugging it again and turning the key on, plugging it in and leaving the key on, the works, but it proceeded to just give us the finger.

Now, my friend's main car is a Honda Element, of which he added a front grille guard to, mostly for cosmetic looks, partly for protection from rear ending someone or having a deer run out in front of him. Well, I stayed with the Bimmer at the gas station and his girlfriend drove him back to his Element and he came back in that and we're sitting there still wondering what to do. At that time, I tried getting it to crank and finally it turned over, but to keep it running, I had to keep on the gas. So we're talking about it and I suggested that since it'll stay on as long as the gas is applied, we could probably nudge it back to his apartment by keeping the gas applied even when shifting.

Well, my saying "nudge" triggered a new idea. He looked over at his grille guard and got "that look" on his face. So in the gas station parking lot, we tested the limits and attempted to push the Bimmer with the Element, and it appeared it would work. Well we got the Bimmer started, gas applied, and gunned for home; got it a little over half way and it gave up while making a turn so I hit the brakes while he inched up behind me and then slowly but surely, pushed the Bimmer with me steering it the rest of the way back to the apartments.

Pretty much made my night, had to share the hilarity

Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Nice, I've done the same when my trans-am crapped out about 2 miles from home. But I used my at the time Dodge Durango with no grill guard we just wedged towels everywhere we could to try and prevent damage!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 PM
3rd Gear

Hahaha, that's probably the only time that guard will come in handy on an Element . That's great.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:14 PM
4th Gear

i was expecting the story to end with the grille bending or breaking then the bmw starting after u tried pushing it lol

Old 03-04-2010, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NickBroderick
Hahaha, that's probably the only time that guard will come in handy on an Element . That's great.
Haha, oh yea, for sure. Like I said, it was mostly a cosmetic upgrade for him, but it did prove useful for something so it wasn't a worthless investment as many people have criticized before.

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
i was expecting the story to end with the grille bending or breaking then the bmw starting after u tried pushing it lol
Haha yea, sorry, guess it was a tad anti climactic but it was still a pretty comical way for us to spend our night. Especially when other cars would drive by and we'd watch them double and triple take at the sight. Good times lol

Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Sounds awesome!

Should've recorded some videos tho.