B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Who wants a heat shield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default Who wants a heat shield?

For those of you who dont know, I've been making heatshields since there are no companies who sell them anymore.
I know a few of you were asking me about them before I got a chance to make anymore but starting next week I'll be making them again

I've already got a couple people lined up for them so if anyones interested let me know! They're $70 and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by meloman; 02-29-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

We've talked about this, Comrade. please email me. ConklinTerry@gmail.com

Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear

Your names on the first one I make!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear

man i cant lie id love to pick one up.. always wanted to get on a blinktek when they were being made but never did.. since im pretty much done modding for now, its all about getting clean, and that starts with the bay.. got a home made jobber doing the trick right now but thats gunna look tons cleaner and gunna work a whole hell of a lot better.. add me to the list

Old 12-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Administrator

I made one myself, was a fun project. It went through several iterations before it stopped sucking but I'm pretty happy with the latest version. Post up some pics if you would? If yours looks better than the one I made I'll pick one up lol

Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 AM
4th Gear

God knows I need one! I'm not sure what happened to my last one, but not having one is very bad, as I recently found out... I removed my air box the other day while changing my headlights, and my K&N filter had partially melted on the edge closest the turbo (not bad enough to ruin the filter, it just made it stick to the box cover a bit) and it started melting one of the bottom brackets.

I think it all happened during one of my many recent road trips (since May, Kansas to Texas, Texas to Alabama, Alabama back to Texas, Texas to Virginia, and Virginia back to Texas. Oh, and Uncle Sam is going to pay me 51 cents a mile for that too). Since I'm not going to be make any more big road trips for awhile, I think I'll be good for now, but it's very high on my list.

I was thinking of trying a DIY myself, but a couple pics here might save me the frustration...

Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
2nd Gear

I'm honestly surprised at the difference it made. I just had the little stock one fabbed up there which was kind of a joke. I popped open my hood a couple weeks ago after some spirited driving and felt the filter out of curiosity and it didnt even feel like I was just driving. Clearly it helped that it was about 45 out but sitting right next to the exhaust it was still pretty impressive.

Anyways I can get more pictures up if you guys want and I'll get one up of what it looks like outside of the car.

For now though heres the best I've got

Name:  DSC_0085.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  109.6 KB

Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 PM
4th Gear

Will that work with the stock air box?

Old 12-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Will that work with the stock air box?
It should, my Blinktek works with the stock airbox or cone filter. Along with a cone filter I use the stock snorkel and top trim piece (looks decently stock).

A while back I did some VAG-COM logging, using my Blinktek shield to compare IATs with a cone filter and the stock airbox. I found that the stock airbox would absorb and retain heat, so the IATs were noticeably higher than with a cone filter! I should perform this test again since it's cooler out now and I'm running a blow-through MAF so the test results should be more consistent.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

clean bay man.. very much like what im working on achieving.. gotta get ahold of a set of plastics like the battery/rain tray cover, new coil cover.. and would love to polish the manifold and some paint work to the top of the motor.. always drving someplace and cant afford to have the car down for very long but i guess finding a used AEB intake mani would be the best way, and just sand and polish it up so the car doesnt have to be down.. my heatshield now is a mix between the joke OEM heatshiled and some plyable heatshield material off of my parents old jeep, it works for right now and is a good divider but i def need one when you get fabbin them up.. PM me if you want when youre ready to send out some of these bad boys..

by the way metal, im diggin the turbo setup and combination in your car.. hows she go?

Quick Reply: Who wants a heat shield?