B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Window Stuck Down

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:51 AM
2nd Gear
Default Window Stuck Down

I'll be pulling my panel off tomorrow to inspect things but this is what I have so far:
Window worked fine.
Parked car.
Went to movie.
Got in car.
Put window down.
Drive 200 feet.
Put window up.
Drive 3 miles.
Window isgoing down.
Put window up.
Drive 2 miles.
Window is half down.
Draw 100 feet.
Window is down.
Park.
Window will not go up.

It's the passenger side front. It won't go up with the driverside switch, the passenger side switch, or by holding the key in the lock position, but I can hear the motor working for all 3, and all of the other windows work.

And it happens with 3 chicks in the car after the single other guy in the car finished making fun of Audi electronics. It was perfectly horrible.
But, yeah, I'll pull the panel off in the morning, but anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Window Stuck Down

sounds to me like a bad switch in the circuit somewhere.......

Old 04-11-2008, 02:59 AM
2nd Gear

Thing is, the motor is running when I push any of the buttons that control it. I'm thinking stripped gears maybe, or a bad track. I don't think the kid sitting there pushed on it at all.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 AM
1st Gear

u r saying it goes down by itself???? If that's the case it can;t be the motor, teh motor would have to get its signal from the switch and the only way to do that is by pressing the button down, being that u r not pressing the buttons at all and it is going down could mean a stuck switch or a short somewhere

Old 04-11-2008, 03:35 AM

you need to replace the window regulator. the plastic peice that the metal line goes on busted. i have had to replace 3 of them on my car, it is very common. atleast im 99% sure thats the problem, if your lucky, the metal line slipped off the plastic peice. but when you take it apart tomorrow my bet is you will find it busted

Old 04-11-2008, 03:43 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: A4speed

you need to replace the window regulator. the plastic peice that the metal line goes on busted. i have had to replace 3 of them on my car, it is very common. atleast im 99% sure thats the problem, if your lucky, the metal line slipped off the plastic peice. but when you take it apart tomorrow my bet is you will find it busted
Expensive? Is it something the dealer carries in stock or seems to work on all 4 windows? I may pick up 2 if it's common.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 AM
1st Gear

i got my widow regulator from mlpchase of audizine, it was like $50 or something but used and had mine installed and it fixed my same problem that u seem to be having. It def sounds like your regulator, they little plastic piece of **** clips that hold the window in place break so i guess u gotta replace the whole reg. Common problem hope this helped.

btw, the dealer quoted me 400-600 and i got it done for my drivers side all together for like $150. Paying someone to do it for me.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:13 PM

two of my windows act like this.. driver window and rear driver's side (on this one, the pulley broke)

Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 PM
SoCal Crew Member

just had this happen to me today. I was driving to work in about 40 F weather with the window down. I was not happy.

found a DIY on audidiy.com that said I just needed to replace a plastic clip and I got excited, thinking this was a cheap, easy fix. got to the audi dealership in riverside to find that they only provide these pieces for the A6 and the A4 requires an entirely new regulator. neat, huh?

the DIY was in the B5 A4 section too. someone should move it out of there, as it's misleading.

hopefully it's not raining on me tonight as I try to fix this...

Old 12-18-2008, 04:10 PM

u need a rivet gun to do this. theres no screws or nuts or anything, that was the biggest pain in the bum. the first time i did it, it took me like 5 hours, the second one i did in 2 hours. once u do it once it becomes easier.

Quick Reply: Window Stuck Down