B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

windsheild washer fluid warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 PM
1st Gear
Default windsheild washer fluid warning

Anyone familiar with the problem of getting the warning light for fluid level despite filling it up?

thanks

Old 05-19-2012, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear

Most likely the washer pump (2 in this drawing). That's what detects the level. Check the wiring too.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
Most likely the washer pump (2 in this drawing). That's what detects the level. Check the wiring too.

Thanks for the info suppose then that I should start looking for a new pump,

Old 05-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Does the fluid leak out immediately after you fill the tank up?

If yes, its likely the pump in that diagram. Very common problem and, due to the variety of pumps Audi used, annoying to fix. I just took mine out and plugged up the hole.

If the fluid doesn't leak out, its probably the washer fluid level sensor and/or the related wiring.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

My 2.8 has two pumps -- one for the windshield washer (works fine) and one for the headlight washer. The headlight pump was split open and totally rusted out. Any time I added fluid it would all leak out.

I just deleted the headlight pump by plugging the hole and zip tying the wiring out of the way.

I don't get a windshield washer light because I think I turned it off with vag-com a while back.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Does the fluid leak out immediately after you fill the tank up?

If yes, its likely the pump in that diagram. Very common problem and, due to the variety of pumps Audi used, annoying to fix. I just took mine out and plugged up the hole.

If the fluid doesn't leak out, its probably the washer fluid level sensor and/or the related wiring.
It doens't leak out, I can use it and spray the wind sheild no problem but the stupid light just won't come off Can I replace the sensor without replacing the pump ?

Old 05-22-2012, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redmond1501
My 2.8 has two pumps -- one for the windshield washer (works fine) and one for the headlight washer. The headlight pump was split open and totally rusted out. Any time I added fluid it would all leak out.

I just deleted the headlight pump by plugging the hole and zip tying the wiring out of the way.

I don't get a windshield washer light because I think I turned it off with vag-com a while back.
Maybe that is the sollution for me, the washer works fine and all, only problem is the stupid light

edit: turning the light off using vag-com I mean,

Old 08-05-2012, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

I've got a 2009 B8 which seems to have the same problem.
It's under warranty, but Audi reckon they don't know how to fix this. They say unless they can identify a fault during testing they can't simply replace a part under warranty.
Is that correct?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM
vgo
2nd Gear

^ stealership knowledge. They don't know how to fix it until you throw money at them.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 PM

I had this problem too.

Issue 1: Headlight Washer pump rusted and leaking
Issue 2: Reservoir was cracked and leaking.

Replaced the washer pump. And repaired the bottle using JB Weld epoxy.

Epoxy did not fix the leak and is still leaking, the water stays to the level below the water sensor, causing the Washer Fluid warning to go off. With the annoying beep.

FIX: I might replace the bottle in the future, but to fix the warning/beep for now, I just used a 1K Resistor from the local radioshack and inserted in to the sensor wire connectors. (between the 2 wire terminals).

This actually tricks the ECU to think that the Sensor is not open and the water level is OK.

Quick Reply: windsheild washer fluid warning