B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

zomg mah check engine light is on :D

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default zomg mah check engine light is on :D

Hello everyone. I have a 97 b5 5 speed with 128k miles on it. Iv done some searching for related problems but it seem like no one has failed quite as hard as me on this one. I have also read the sticky about check engine lights and will have it scanned but I think this is a pretty straight forward problem so here it goes. About a week and a half ago my fuel meter started acting up and not giving me an accurate reading. I was going to get around to fixing it but I had to leave for vacation in a few days so I just thought I would let it slide until I got back and I'd just use my trip meter to watch my gas. Well on the way back from vacation and about 2 minutes from home my car ran out of gas. (Right around 360 miles.) It wasn't a big deal, I just put it in neutral and pulled off on a side street and got a friend to get me a gallon of gas. I filled it with the gallon of gas and started the car. The car started fine but it started with its check engine light on. I don't know if this is just a safety feature Audi put in and it will clear itself with time, or if its gunk from the bottom of my tank that got into the engine, or even if its just a fault with my cats. So whatever it is, if you have any insight it would be very helpful to me Thanks in advance for whatever you guys come up with.

*Edit* It is a 2.8 if my sig didn't already give that away

Last edited by nismo; 08-24-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:29 PM
5th Gear

fixing the meter is easy. just pop off the cover on the tank in the trunk and shine a light in there. there's only one thing that sticks up, just remove it, it's held on with a a button type clip. you should see a wire broken or the contacts are rusted. either replace the whole thing or rewire it and clean the contacts. get the code(s) and we'll talk about the real problem. try some seafoam in the gas tank. a whole can should clean crap out.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, I will try to get the codes asap =)

Old 08-26-2008, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Update time! I went to Pep Boys and got them to scan the CEL and it came back with three codes.

P1101
P1106

P1250

I did some searching and found what the codes mean. First two are bot O2 sensors and the 3rd is low fuel level. I am also pretty sure the 3rd code is being caused by the first two if I am reading correctly. I just cant figure out why they all got all messed up when I ran out of gas. Is there a way i can re set them or did i damage them somehow when the care died of no fuel? any ideas?